Noise problems

I am really lucky, living in the middle of the countryside I have lovely dark skies but it is very, very quiet at night and I have a couple of noise problems. No complaints from the neighbours yet but I'd like to avoid any. Any suggestions on how to solve them would be welcome.

My sky watcher auto focuser is very noisy. I have disconnected it until the darker winter nights.

The screw fitting that connects my Barlow to my camera adapter squeaks really loudly. Obviously I don't want to lubricate it with anything that is going to get anywhere near the optics or ccd. A fried has suggested a graphite based grease.

Camera shutter is very noisy any way of sound proofing?

Thanks once again for your advice.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

I think it might be a good idea to ask your neighbours if the noise is a problem -explain what you are doing. People like you are like hen's teeth - being considerate of one's neighbours...

They probably don't hear the noise as their windows are shut - I know how loud our gadgets can be as I had a GOTO on loan for a few months and have been trying my hand at widefield astrophotograpy.

The most radical thing I can think of is an observatory which may muffle some of the noise if it is a problem.

I think in a very quite environment any sound you or your equipment make, sounds louder than it really is, as has been said if you are bothered, then ask your neighbours to see if it is going to bother them. For your screw fitting adapter, try a smidgen of petroleum jelly ( Vaseline ) on your finger wipe round the threads then clean off with piece of paper kitchen towel, work the threads into one another a few times then clean again, you should find your your friendly mouse has fled. No suggestions for the camera other than covering it with some form a quilt lined jacket. Probably the only way to quieten the mount is to do an Astro-Baby complete strip and re-lubricate with Lithium base grease :)

John.

I seriously doubt if your neighbours hear a sound from your gear. It may seem loud to you being wide awake and right next to it...................people asleep in the next house..........i bet my bottom dollar they dont hear a thing.

Its nice that you are concerned about disturbing your neighbours. I would very casually ask them the next time you see them if they can hear any noise and if it disturbs their sleep.

I bety the answer is "no".

Try getting someone else to make the noises for you while you stand 10 yards away - I bet you won't hear a thing! Nice to see someone who is concerned though. If you ttell your neighbours what you are doing then you should be OK. You may find that your light (even a dim red torch) will get more attention than any slight noises - when I started up a few years ago I dropped a note in all the houses that backed on to mine to say that if they saw a red torch shining in my garden in the middle of the night, ignore it as it would be me.

Many, many years ago I was quite surprised after being crept up on by two burly "Plod" after a neighbour had reported burglars! Scared me a bit when I was tapped on the shoulder!!! Plod and I spent a good half hour looking at the Moon through my scope and I think they went away happy.

Good advise there Roger. If you are going to be using a torch outside at night (be it red or white), its a good idea to inform your neighbours about it just so they know and dont think its burglars. I'm on very good terms with the people that live on either side and behind me and they know i am often outside very late at night with scopes and torches. If anything they feel a bit more secure that i am outside, because burglars tend to give my house and the surrounding houses a wide birth if there is someone in the garden and even better if there is a Yorkie in the garden roaming free who thinks she is a Doberman.

I think my 8se is a bit noisy at night and i worry about the neighbours but if i move even 6" away from the scope while it is slewing and tracking even i cant hear it.

My astro buddy was concerned about the noise of shutting up his obsy at the end of a session - my response "would your neighbour worry about the noise of closing his garage doors at night" - no and neither should you - live and let live :cool:

Well had the girlfriend press buttons, click shutters etc while I stood at the other end of garden and I couldn't hear a sound! Cheers for all your suggestions.

Now all I've got to do is stop the dogs next door barking every time I move!

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

That's easy! Ask the neighbours to introduce you to the dogs and make sure that they know you and your garden - if they are content with that they won't bark at you any more!! After all all they are doing is "protecting" their territory.

1+

Definitely works. I've only met my neighbour's lovely dog twice and whenever she sees me, she goes nuts as if she's known me all her life!

Archived