Coloured caps on jupiter

Hi folks, ive just been taking a look at jupiter, i found that i couldnt get a crisp view, four moons were there, i could just make out the two main belts around the planet, but on higher mag,with a cheap barlow and stock 10mm EP i was getting a very orange edge around the upper half of the planet and a very pretty blue around the bottom edge, is this a collimation issue, or something else,.your advice much appreciated. cheers Dave

Sorry, i should have given more detail, i started off with the stock 25mm EP, the views with this EP were fine, it was trying to use greater mag with the 10mm and x2 Barlow that these symptons arose, it was a very clear night and the seeing seemed good, although to view Jupiter i was viewing over a neighbours roof, could the heat rising from the house be the cause? .

I would say that you were suffering from Jupiter being quite low down last night in a turbulent upper atmosphere. I was on Jupiter between 2am and 3am. Seeing was pants with loads of wobble. Poorest view for quite some time even though the sky was gorgeously clear. The colours you mention are likely caused by refraction through the currently very warm upper atmosphere over the UK.

I would say that you were suffering from Jupiter being quite low down last night in a turbulent upper atmosphere. I was on Jupiter between 2am and 3am. Seeing was pants with loads of wobble. Poorest view for quite some time even though the sky was gorgeously clear. The colours you mention are likely caused by refraction through the currently very warm upper atmosphere over the UK.

I think this diagnosis is spot on. I was experiencing the same last night as I was being impatient and not waiting for Jupiter to rise sufficiently high in the sky before observing it. My scope and eyepieces do not normally show any false colour even on bright objects.

Wait until Jupiter is higher in the sky and I reckon this effect will disappear.

I often get this colour problem with planets and was told it was atmospheric refraction. It's a bit annoying but, when I image, I can take it out with Registax. As you can see from my sig block I have good EPs and a reflector, so no CA!

I agree - it's not CA. Atmospheric refraction has the effect of showing different colours at the top and bottom of an object as the OP describes whereas CA is a consistent colour all around the object.

Archived