Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SW HEQ5 Pro Payload?

crazyjedi

Hi all

I was looking at the SW Evostar 80ED DS-Pro + HEQ5 Pro package as a route into astrophotography. But at a later date I was hoping to upgrade from my SW-150p to the SW 250p-DS too. Will the HEQ5 be ok with the 250p or do I need the HEQ6?

Cheers :smiley:

I was unsure as to use the 250 for imaging. How will the Evostar compare to the 250 for imaging. My initial thought was to use the Evostar for imaging and the 250 for visual use and maybe imaging if the mount was stable enough but I'm a complete novice to imaging and so I don't know if the 250 would be better for imaging than the Evo 80mm

Once you've added other bits such as tube rings, finder, eyepieces/cameras/coma corrector/guidescope I don't think the HEQ5 would be very happy for visual or imaging.

If all you had was the 250 then I guess that's what you'd use for imaging. I don't think I'd suggest it as the best possible choice, though I see no reason why it shouldn't do a creditable job. It would just be easier with something smaller.

James

It seems to be mostly true that Skywatcher supply their scopes on the lightest possible mount they can. FLO don't appear to offer a 250 on a GEM, but there's one on the Skywatcher website. It's on a NEQ6. That suggests to me that even Skywatcher don't think it's suitable for visual use on a HEQ5.

James

• 2 months later...

I have this problem as well. I have the ED80 and it is a beaut on the HEQ5. But I too want to get a 250p. Which means a HEQ6..... So going to flog my HEQ5 and got some bonus money coming for the delta between what i get for the HEQ5 and the cost of a new HEQ6.

These mounts hold their value really well.

Deffo the HEQ6. Done lots of internet research into this and almost everyone says forget imaging on the bigger newts/SCT's on the HEQ5. Shame since I love the HEQ5 it is a superb mount and once aligned tracks all night and does not miss a beat.

Steve

I use the explorer 200PDS on the HEQ5, and i'm noticing that with the DSLR and a finder-guider, i'm already at the weight limit. A 250 + camera + guidescope would probably be too heavy. So in your case, i'd go for the NEQ6.

Should be able to, yes. I had no problem with my HEQ5 in a rather medium/small sedan, without taking off the HEQ5 head.

The NEQ6 isn't very much larger, but a bit heavier.

I wouldn't recommend the NEQ6 if you have to carry it for longer distances. I wouldn't carry my HEQ5 any longer then ~50 meters at least...

Archived