NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First light last night - I've learned a few of things

1. For me, the straight-through finder on the SW 200p is a PITA to use

2. The Anatres Twist/Lock Adaptor is a handy bit of kit.

3. I need a Telrad, probably with a riser - I don't think I like magnifying finders. at Was trying to find M13 last night and didn't succeed. I knew where to look - I used TLAO and Stellarium to confirm but the finder obviously magnified other stars so everything just turned into a mass of stars which made it tough to know if I was looking at the right star to hop to and from. I think I would have an easier time with a zero-magnification finder. Having said all that, the seeing wasn't too great.

Hopefully, things will get better as I work at it.

There is always room for improvement, especially with the 200p finder. I have added a 9x50 raci and a Rigel Quikfinder and it has made finding things a breeze. Worth the £'s just for the sake of viewing comfort. I wish SkyWatcher would sell their dobs with a right angled finder, but then I suppose they would miss out on the after sale purchases of a raci finder.

Just returned the laser collimator to RVO, and ordered a Cheshire and a Telrad. Any one got any ideas for mounting the Telrad? I was going to go with 220mm worm-gear pipe clips, lined with felt or something since I don't want any sticky stuff on the OTA but I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions?

I just used the sticky pads provided. They peel off with a bit of care and white spirit when you decide you want to remove the Telrad.

You can buy new double sided sticky pads from most hobby / DIY shops when you need some more.

I've still got the original finder on the 200p. i struggle sometimes to see where im looking, but i'm getting better now. Im thinking more towards a red dot finder than a telrad at the moment. I think RDF would be more practical for me.

The Telrad's circles are a great advantage over a simple red dot. Unless the object you're pointing at is a naked eye object, you'll miss the circles as they allow you to measure distances from nearby stars. With a star atlas and a scaled telrad sight overlay it's even easier, just look at the pattern on the map (with the overlay) than match it on the telrad.

Was trying to find M13 last night and didn't succeed. I knew where to look - I used TLAO and Stellarium to confirm but the finder obviously magnified other stars so everything just turned into a mass of stars which made it tough to know if I was looking at the right star to hop to and from. I think I would have an easier time with a zero-magnification finder. Having said all that, the seeing wasn't too great.

M13 was the first Messier I looked for and failed totally for 2 nights until I chanced upon it exactly where all the charts say it should be,

I can find it immediately now, just using the finderscope, and wonder why I had such a problem intially. It's such an obvious object! I'm convinced it hides from newbies.....

As above with the raci, i want one for my 200p, epecially with the EQ5 to add to the nightly contortions. My telrad is still waiting to be mounted but I can already tell the hunt for DSO's will improve once its fixed on, hopefully in a place that allows me to have a choice if one finder is unreachable the other will be nearby.

Good luck with your search.

Regards

Aenima

I use an RDF and find it much easier to locate objects with it. I don't see the point of trying to use a very small telescope (finder scope) to find a DSO. You may as well use your main scope which has a much larger field of view. I use the RDF to get in the right area (with help from stellarium or charts) then use my 2'' Panaview 32mm to locate what I'm looking for then switch to a higher mag eyepiece. Undoubtedly, experienced astronomers will find a good quality finder scope indispensable as they have the knowledge and ability to star hop. Until I obtain that level of ability the RDF is the best way to find what you are looking for.

Thanks folks. The Telrad arrived today so hopefully it'll be a clean sky on Friday night. I'll take another crack at M13. I really think the Telrad's going to do a job for me, alright. I might have LP problems though from a small town to the south which might be screwing things up but I hope it's still there to be seen.

Archived