Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Has anybody had a Lanthanum eyepiece

supernova

I had a beginning collection of Lanthanum eyepieces: 4mm, 6mm, 10mm, 15mm... and an anticipated 20mm, but sadly finances interveaned. :-( Take note of the field of view - And "wisdom" suggesting slightly diminished transmission (I see a fair bit of pincussion distortion too) BUT they were certainly closest to the "does what it says..." thing. Orion UK seemed (sometimes) to have HUGE delivery delays and Lanths are cheaper at Telescope Services (DE). At that price, or S/H, WELL worth it? Even the quirky 30mm 2" 60 Deg is a fine thing. I do regret parting with any/all of these. :wink:

Yeah, TS are quite easy to deal with (Email in English! etc.) despite slightly odd (Paypal etc.) methodology. (See their HOME page) They deliver small items with the working week usually... :D

The STANDARD Lanthanums are the "LV Okulare (langer Augenabstand)" or even:

http://www.telescope-service.com/vixen/accessories/vixenaccessories.html#Okulare

:wink:

I have a 12mm and 4mm and will probably sell them. They are very well made and perform very well, but they are designed for people who have to wear glasses - hence the long eye relief and narrow field of view. Also, you can't use Barlow lenses with them because Barlows are built into them. That's how Vixen manage to keep the eye lenses wide even at high powers - Hugh.

My god Lee how much did that lot cost? :shock:

Dont ask... :? I wouldn't want to have to replace them all at once, that's for sure.

I don't wear glasses, but I still find the Lanthanums better than any Plossls I've ever used. Having said that, I've never had the opportunity to try any of uncle Al's creations...

Lee.

..... otherwise be aware of the drop in brightness, narrow FOV and pincushion distortion ...

Does that (except for the FOV) go for the LVW's as well - only I'm quite interested in a 22 LVW at the moment ;)

John

Haven't owned any of the LVW but I have looked through a few and was impressed. Worth noting that the Baader Hyperions are essentially Chinese copies of the Japanese LVW range so if you have ever looked through any of those you will have a rough idea of what to expect. I would guess/hope that the LVWs, being Japanese made, are a tad better(?)

When you decide to sell let me know. Cos I wear glasses .

I'll PM soon - I have to go away for a few days.

They are essentially the same as the Celestron Excel

But aren't Excels Chinese copies of the Japanese-made Vixen lanthamums? Masses of Vixen stuff seems to be copied in China. The Skywatcher ED80 and ED100 are apparently updated versions of Vixen refractors of about 15 years ago and EQ5 mounts look like almost exact replicas of Vixen GP mounts - Hugh

Archived