Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First attempt at The bubble nebula.

matt_man21

Well i'm back indoors after what can only be described as the night from hell. I was Plagued with problems but was determined to test my Astromoded DSLR (350D with the IR filter completely removed no clear glass replacement) on some Ha goodness!

First a rant about everything that went wrong:

Polar alignment took longer than usual,

Guiding problems due to wind,

Focusing was a nightmare as i can't rely on the viewfinder in the camera as it's no longer par-focal with the sensor due to my Mod

Dew + SCT and no dew heater = frequently running out with the hair dryer much to the bemusement of my neighbours.

Loosing guide stars due to dew on corrector plate

Loosing guide stars due thermal currents from over zealous use of the hair drier

Loosing guide stars due to the cat wrapping herself up in the cables.

Loosing imaging session due to my cat standing on the laptops power button.

Feed Cat!

Scope suddenly slewing a few arc mins in a random direction.

Autoguider suddenly confusing RA- with DEC+

Discovering my autoguider controlbox dripping with dew

More use of the hair drier (on autoguider)

Manage 20x180s subs on random guide stars so the images will be a pain to stack.

After all that i decided it was just not my night so packed up and retreated indoors for a strong sweet cuppa tea!

I didn't want to waste the photons i had collected so i decided to see what i could salvaged of the 20 exposures just 3 were good and two more i deemed useful, So after a quick dirty stack in IRIS here is the fruit of my labour, you know what... it makes it all worth it! (however forgive me if i have exhibit a nervous twitch any time someone mentions NGC7635)

post-9516-0-60789000-1345347797_thumb.jp

We all have nights like that :D Our cat is not allowed in my obsy when I'm imaging - nor the dog - but both have caused problems when I've been processing! In spite of your problems, that's a terrific image and well worth it :) You did very well :)

Archived