Okay Chaps, new telescope and clear skys!

Okay Chaps, tonights the night! New telescope and clear sky over Bristol!

Un-boxed and put everything together.

Watched Youtube video about balancing scope on mount (Check!)

Watched Youtube video about aligning mount. Think I can find Pole Star (Check!)

But what are the best "easy" targets a beginner can hope to see tonight, and where should I be looking for them.

Thanks

Hi Ya Flounder, wonder what scope you've bought, just sittin outside listening to my soul music on the net, skies were clearer earlier but just clouded out in the midlands.

Best to stick to the Messier objects to start with, M57, M27 - fantastic, Cygnus is overhead at the moment - so you could try for the Veil Nebula if your light pollution is not too bad - also I think M71 below M27 going from memory - a little faint but doable.

Remember, light pollution is a real problem for us "townie" observers, if you don't have GOTO - a RACI (right angled correct image) finder is a must with a nice set of charts, so what you see on the charts is the same as you see in the sky.

The summer nights are not really the best - the winter sky is amazing - setting up at 5 o'clock before tea - can't wait.

Just a couple of targets for you tonight, many more will post so you can plan an observing session - remember if your searchin and not seeing - its the light pollution thats the problem - alot of us get a little frustrated at times - remember the night sky is always there - so your in it for the long haul - as the seasons come and go - different objects come into view and they are best observed when at there highest point in the sky. Regards Paul.

I dont know any 'easy targets' off the top of my head sorry. Sure someone with more expertise will be along to suggest some tho. I have found downloading the monthly chart on skymaps.com shows plenty of targets and their brightnesses etc. This, coupled with the free program stellarium to get a better idea of where in the sky these objects will be in the sky to your location.

Light pollution is a right pain as well so maybe try sticking to the brighter stuff.

Hope you have fun and enjoy the new scope :)

what scope is it btw ?

Middle star in the handle of the plough is a double, easy to locate and see as 2.

Straight up is Cygnus, the swan. Forms a cross, the cross bit being it's rear, bright star is Deneb.

If you can wander down the body and neck you get to a double star Alberio, two different colours.

Where the cross forms to be the body and wings try M29, just a cluster but should be easy.

Up Deneb, the bright rear end star are 2 nebula, faint nebula.Pelican and N American Nebula. You may not get these as they are faint.

The Plough: By each of the stars that form the base of the plough are a couple of Messiers M109 and M97.

M97 being the one close to the star that is one of the pointers, M109 being at the other end.

Andromeda is the other must have, figure out where it should be, check in binocular then turn the scope at it.

Lyra is close to Alberio in Cygnus (at the Alberio end and up a bit), forms a bit of a trapesium with the bright star Vega at the top. The lower 2 faint stars of the trapesium that point towards Alberio look bang in the middle of them. M57, the Ring Nebula is there.

Hope you have a book to work out what I mean.

I'm quite close to you (Portishead) but I'm clouded out at the moment :sad:

If you do get a clear patch you might go for the globular cluster M13 in Hercules which is easy to find and bright. M92 is in the same constellation and another nice globular.

The double cluster in Perseus is a nice sight at low power in any scope and of course M31, the Andromeda galaxy, in the constellation of that name is rising nicely later in the night.

All the above are visible in binoculars and finding them that way is a good way to get your bearings before you point your scope at them.

dont forget jupiter in the east after midnight

Big wow factor! clouds cleared low in the sky was able to see Jupiter. Stripes and 4 dots of light, 3 closer than the other one. Really did mean to look at some others but spent an hour just looking at it! Eventually cloud came in again. Amazed how quickly everything moves in the sky (never really noticed 'til now). I'll have to get the motor attached.

Congratulations !

You have just observed Jupiter, it's two principle equatorial belts and it's 4 brightest moons, Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto.

I'm not surprised you spent an hour looking at them - they are fascinating objects :smiley:

Next time you look at Jupiter the moons will have moved to different positions and may even be behind or in front of the planet. Always something going on at Jupiter !

Nice one flounder, Jupiter is something special isn't it (just wait til you see saturn). Don't know if anyone has mentioned it but stellarium is a great free piece of software that really is helpful for planning your nights viewing. When you do plan your session make sure you start in the west as these will be the objects that set first. also there's a book called "Turn Left At Orion" which will help you find objects although i'm sure there are others. Hope this helps

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent stuff! Jupiter is a good target! I remember the first time I observed Jupiter through my girlfriends' Dads telescope! I'll never forget that. Bands and 4 moons. 3 on one side and one in the other!

Got a pair of Celestron Skynaster 15x70 binos and seen Jupiter through them. Although they are just bright circular lights you can still clearly make out the moons! Brilliant stuff!

I'm currently looking at the same 'scope as you.

Keep it up and good luck!

Tom.

Archived