Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from a newbie and some power supply advice sought

Hello all.

First of all apologies if this post is in the wrong place, hoping to come back a bit more often now I've found the SGL.

I'm a new scope owner (had one for my 40th) and living in Barry, South Wales.

The scope is a Meade Starnavigator 114, and, as I'm pretty sure lots of you already know, I'm going through lots of AAs. Has anyone got any suggestions for a power supply that might suit?

Thank you.

A Maplin Power tank will probably do the trick. Just remember to keep the charge topped up even when not in use as a complete discharge can be rather catastrophic for future use.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/5-in-1-jump-starter-with-digital-air-compressor-388125

Or if that is a bit over kill...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/portable-power-pack-225153

Clear skies,

Cliffords of Brighton are selling some 12 Volt 17Ah battery jump starters with built in compressor, two 12 Volt cigar lighter sockets and a work light for £49 on E-bay. Not sure how many they have left as I believe they are the old design, but they work - I have just bought one.

Sorry I can't get on E-bay and check/post a link as E-bay is blocked at my work!

Bryan

Hey there...my celestron is on external power too...for me it was too expensive to buy jump starters/power tanks...and as i talked to some electrical engeniers they told me that jump starters/power tanks serve for one big jump/whoosh...and acid car batteries or bikes to be exact are meant to consumpt 12v continuosly...just like bikes and cars...so what i did i went to a spare part car store...bought a 7amp lead acid battery...a charger for a lead acid battery-also can serve you a lot if you have a car or a bike...you can charge it with this...electricity cable and a 12v lighter socket...put it all together very veryyy easy...and all of that for 40 euros...by the way 7amp lead acid battery gives me full 6 hours of fun with my scope :)))

Found the item on E-bay once I could get on the computer at home. They still have 4 available here:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2573fe8004

It's £45 not £49.

You will probably need to charge it for about 50 hours before you can use it. There is no auto shut off when it gets to full charge - just an orange LED that comes on - so you have to keep an eye on it and unplug it when the LED lights up or the battery will over charge.

Hello all.

First of all apologies if this post is in the wrong place, hoping to come back a bit more often now I've found the SGL.

I'm a new scope owner (had one for my 40th) and living in Barry, South Wales.

The scope is a Meade Starnavigator 114, and, as I'm pretty sure lots of you already know, I'm going through lots of AAs. Has anyone got any suggestions for a power supply that might suit?

Thank you.

I built myself one using a small toolbox, a 12 volt 7.2 amp hr rechargeable battery, an inline fuse and a battery tender (charger) that I already had for my motorcycle. Works well. I have only one battery in it now, but one could easily put 2 or 3 in parallel. Here is a picture of it.. http://gordongreene.com/photogallery/displayimage.php?album=77&pid=3060#top_display_media

Good luck

I built myself one using a small toolbox, a 12 volt 7.2 amp hr rechargeable battery, an inline fuse and a battery tender (charger) that I already had for my motorcycle. Works well. I have only one battery in it now, but one could easily put 2 or 3 in parallel. Here is a picture of it.. http://gordongreene....p_display_media

Good luck

same as me, i use a 16" plastic tool box with 3 7.5ahr battries in it out of alarm boxs with a red led volt display and 1 cigarette socket all fully fused

same as me, i use a 16" plastic tool box with 3 7.5ahr battries in it out of alarm boxs with a red led volt display and 1 cigarette socket all fully fused

I like the idea of the red led volt display... I'll have to look around for one. Great idea. I'm also adding a second battery.

Fantastic. Thank you all for the advice. I'm not sure my electrical skills stretch to making something, despite the assurances of how easy it is! A trip online or to the shops is in order.

Thank you for the invite too, will definitely keep an eye out for the trips.

One problem with the Maplin Power Tank, not sure if this affects others, the charger that comes with it is not up to the job and never really fully charges the battery.

I've modded mine to charge from a car battery charger.

Faulksy, I already took your lead and bought a voltage meter to add to my power tank... It already shipped. I also bought 2 more 7.2 ah batteries to add for more capacity. Thanks for the great idea.

i have put a picture of mine in the mount section if anyone wants to see it

Faulksy, Nice power tank. I like the small trays in the top for storing bits of kit. 4 batteries is nice too. I ordered 2 more, so now I'll have 3. I'll have to see if that will suffice when I build/get a dew heater. I spent my career as an electrician and am curious about the wiring of your tank. Looks like you have a relay installed. Is it's purpose to disconnect the batteries from the cigarette lighter ? I just fused my batteries to protect against a short circuit. I would be interested to know how yours is wired. (always curious) Your voltage meter look just like the one I ordered. Nice job... I'm sure it will give you many nights of worry free operation. Now I can just wish you clear skies...

I use 10X 1.2V 2000mA AA rechargeables. Cost £13 for 12 from Maplins.

You can get a holder for them from Maplins.

Provide 12-14V for 3-4 hours. More than enough for me.

I strap them to the arm of my mounts and plug in. No cordwrap issues.

Much better than lugging a lead acid battery around.

Used them for over a year, still going strong- They are supposed to last 1000 cycles.

I use 10X 1.2V 2000mA AA rechargeables. Cost £13 for 12 from Maplins.

You can get a holder for them from Maplins.

Provide 12-14V for 3-4 hours. More than enough for me.

I strap them to the arm of my mounts and plug in. No cordwrap issues.

Much better than lugging a lead acid battery around.

Used them for over a year, still going strong- They are supposed to last 1000 cycles.

I agree with you that it's easier than lugging a larger power tank around. I did the same thing with non rechargeables and found that it ate them way too fast. I guess my decision to make a power tank with larger batteries and not rechargeable AA was because I was looking to the future when I might have a dew heater or a much bigger mount. Also I really like making that sort of stuff.

Archived