Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Getting colour in the veil

earth titan

I've been repeatedly imaging the veil, as part of an ongoing project. Try as I might, I seem to get little if any colour when stretching or processing. If I want colour, I lose resolution.

I'm using 300 seconds at ISO 800 with my 200mm newt.

Any tips without moving to filters and wheels? Longer exposures? Better processing? Any settings in DSS I can use?

Thanks for looking.

Typed by me, using fumms...

After some stretching and setting the red, green and blue Levels I've been using control points in Curves to hold the dark and light parts while lifting the nebulosity. I also increased the colour saturation and adjusted the colour balance. But I still want to try a star mask and learn how to do that - when I can get round to it...

Sorry to go contrary to the advice above, but forget any processing within DSS. Just use that for stacking. Use a decent graphics application for processing.

If you send me a single sub and also your stacked 32bit file from DSS i'll take a look if you like? Am pretty sure there will be some colour there, just need to know how to bring it out.

pm for an email address :)

Cheers

Tim

Sorry to go contrary to the advice above, but forget any processing within DSS. Just use that for stacking. Use a decent graphics application for processing.

If you send me a single sub and also your stacked 32bit file from DSS i'll take a look if you like? Am pretty sure there will be some colour there, just need to know how to bring it out.

pm for an email address smile.gif

Cheers

Tim

Cheers Tim

I've sent a PM with my e-mail. I'm currently going through the Photoshop learning curve, so any hints gratefully accepted.

I always save from DSS using the option 'with settings embedded but not applied', then do all the processing in Photoshop. Certainly star colour is better preserved that way and the noise can be controlled more easily.

pm for an email address :)

Cheers

Tim

I would say there's a lot that can be done in DSS after stacking than people realise , if like me you do not have access to the all-singing Photoshop it's a godsend .

OK you can do a lot more in PS but it's not essential , certainly not for the " deep sky dabblers" amongst us........ :p

Steve

Archived