Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

finderscope ggggrrrrrr

bottletopburly

I find the supplied RDF with the Lightbridge works very well for star hopping now I have correctly aligned it. have a SkWatcher finderscope and a Telrad on the Christmas list, so will be able to see if the finderscope adds anything.

I have also got a setting circle and inclinometer on the Dob, so can usually get reasonably spot on with that set up as well. Im currently trying not to rely on this method all the time though as star hopping can be fun when it works And you get to know your way around a lot better.

Dave.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love my RACI finder scope. Best thing I've bought yet and finally opened star hopping up to me.

I got a lot of light pollution to deal with so best I manage with the RDF is mag 4. I did manage some star hopping through the OTA itself with a 25mm eyepiece but it was hard work and I found there'd be times I was jumping big gaps, rather than hopping reasonable distances between 6 or 7 mag stars. The RACI made a huge difference and being the right way up meant that up is up.

I'll use the RDF for a rough align, switch to the RACI to hop and then to the main OTA and EP for the final sweep and observing.

I find that as you move up this chain you'll instantly see greater detail so I spend a little bit of time with star chart recognising the main features in my view.

Knowing what apparent FOV your finder and various eyepieces have helps too. It gives a sense of scale when you're looking through whatever. I use Sky Safari so can have set the targeting circles there. Otherwise I'd have drawn them to scale on a bit of clear plastic to use with a paper atlas.

Glad you found it useful.

Forgot to point out in original email for new readers,for this sweep method to work,you must acurately alighn your mount on Polaris.Set up the mount facing north,and using the mounts Adjusters (not the slow motion controls),centre Polaris in your medium power eyepiece.Now check that the Declination circle is set to 90 Degrees.If not release the circle and rotate until 90 is indicated at the mounts pointer.Now lock the circle.

Thats it,good enough for visual.

Sorry Dob owners,your on your own.

Mick.

telrad and right angle finder for me as with others. I use dobs and cannot abide straight finders but two eyed is the only way I can use them when I have done. with a good star map and the two finders I can usually get objects in the eyepiece easily even at 200x plus.

Archived