Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

W/C 13th August

swamp thing

Hi there Steve I know you chaps go out to rc & H lee or even further afield but I am interested in finding out why you do not ever head out to some of the spots near Redhill,

As just south south east of Redhill are some good spots! so can I ask; have you ever tried this area?

I should maybe first give you an idea of my credentials for spotting a good spot so here goes firstly I am no spring chicken & secondly as I have just spent five years on a deserted (in winter) Greek island I can tell you I do know a dark sky when I see one & provided the air is dry here in southern Redhill then there are good skies to be had very close to my home & even on a wet night there are a few high spots on which to escape the mists these are with south south east facing panorama that look out over miles of woodland & all within a mile or two of the centre of Redhill.

Another good destination is just south of Forest row in Ashdown forest where dark sky events are often held or further south of there lies delights to the eyes such as the areas around Herstmonceux & the beach area between Normans bay & Bexhill that have skies that are quite astounding & where I am lucky enough to have private use of a field for astro camping trips & from the tip of the hill in this field you can see forever! if the weather is good you could not want for more.

I do hope that you Steve or others who also read this will find something of interest in the things I have above written! so that is aII for now & it is CLEAR SKIES TO ALL FROM @I@ & I will hope to hear from you or even maybe meet with you soon.

CIAO JOHN...

Hi everyone

I just thought this link might be useful & interesting to you folks IT IS ALL MAPS ETC OF THE UK DARK SKY SITES & not just the well known ones!!

http://www.avex-asso...ss/?page_id=127

the topical overhead 2nd veiw when zoomed into really gives a good idea of the locale of the darkest sites within easy reach in our area.

http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/pl/uk/index.html

Cheers & ENJOY from old big ears John Ei3

Hi John

Our regular meeting place (Ranmore common ) was chosen by the groups founder Mel (Astro_Baby) for its central location in the county. Mel told me she selected the site that was nearest the centre of the county as to be fair for everyone. This seemed reasonable to me, that's why we've kept it as our regular meeting place. South of Redhill is fine if you live in Redhill not so good if like Darren you live in Woking, or Tom in Guildford. South of Guildford also has some great dark skies but again not so good for you guys in Redhill.

I have nothing against trying it as an alternative if say people in this area want to meet, but it does seem a bit unfair to use it as our regular meeting place when it's much further for others. I wouldn't want to alienate the western half of the county as this is the "Surrey" section after all.

Hi John

Our regular meeting place (Ranmore common ) was chosen by the groups founder Mel (Astro_Baby) for its central location in the county. Mel told me she selected the site that was nearest the centre of the county as to be fair for everyone. This seemed reasonable to me, that's why we've kept it as our regular meeting place. South of Redhill is fine if you live in Redhill not so good if like Darren you live in Woking, or Tom in Guildford. South of Guildford also has some great dark skies but again not so good for you guys in Redhill.

I have nothing against trying it as an alternative if say people in this area want to meet, but it does seem a bit unfair to use it as our regular meeting place when it's much further for others. I wouldn't want to alienate the western half of the county as this is the "Surrey" section after all.

GOT YOU Steve! but I was thinking more about nights when those who are over near RC are not available thus it seemed strange to go further than required & what I was mainly suggesting is that trips to ROMAN VILLAS that are so far away could maybe be unnecessary & avoided.

I should also make it clear to you all that I do 99.9999% of my Observing from home as I find it a struggle going GRABE & GO as my OBO is well & truly anchored down, TO ME THERE IS N0 PLACE LIKE DOME LOL so it is not for my own benefit that I am championing DSsites that are close to REDHILL & my home.

Just out of interest can I ask where the dark skies spots are south of Guildford I'm based in camberley so it's not to far to travel

Cheers

Hi there I think if you take a look at the link below & zoom right in you can get a fairly good idea where the best areas are in the UK or anypart of it

http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/pl/uk/index.html

I hope you enjoy Clear skies to all

Hi Steve if you are out this way & just want to take a look I can give you the run down on what I have found, But my comparison as far as South Redhill was concerned was more with RC & if you have a look on the light pollution map I have linked to you will see that both RC & the skies to the south south east of Redhill are graded the same.

However in order to find true dark skies (if such a thing exists anymore) I think one needs to travel a little further but maybe not as far as Big Nora ( LOL ) here again I would say see the map as it is very revealing.

One other point that people should take into account these days when looking at older information is that some areas have improved due to the changes in street lighting.

For instance my skies in Redhill have gone from light in the west to medium dark or better & I only now suffer wipe out from about 45 deg above the northerly horizon & that has only just happened thanks to the East Surreys new sky lights last November I could see stars down as low as 30 deg.

Hi all,

Is anyone going out this evening? Or even tomorrow night.

I have been watching this group's threads for a while now, and thought tonght would be a good night to join if anyone else is going...

Please PM me details of where to go, times, how far walk would be from the car, etc.

Many thanks,

Ian

On another day, I would offer to collect and drive (depending on where you or others were based). However that would be after a few meets first!

I shall definitely be along to some nights in the near future though, as the days grow shorter and the nights longer.

Ian

Can I ask if anyone has ever done any obs near or in colhook common. If so could you recommend any particular spots ?

I have heard around LOXWOOD can be good but Colhook common (in north west Sussex?) is a long way out for me, I think I need a visa & a passport for destinations outside of Surrey ; ()

Archived