Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saw a very bright (slightly greenish coloured), fast moving elongated object move from the West horizon to the East. This object was big and got brighter as it passed overhead but then faded and took on a reddish tint as it moved towards the East just before I lost sight of it due to neighbouring houses being in the way. Tried to focus on it with the binos but it was too bright.

I checked the ISS pass info this morning and it seems to match he time of my sighting. I can only assume that it was the ISS and that the changing colour was due to it's relative position to the sun as it passed. It's the first time I've seen it and boy is it big! It's also coming over again tonight here so hopefully the clouds will stay away. Having never seen the ISS, could someone confirm if this is typical for a sighting of it please?

Last night was also the first time I had seen the Milky Way from Kendal and I also got my first view of The Double Cluster NGC884 (beautiful) and also M5 (smudge). :D

Hi Alan, don't know about the colours, but if you saw a big bright obvious whatsit at the predicted time and position, it was probably the ISS.

It takes a couple of minutes to pass overhead, so it depends on what you mean by fast moving.

If you know it's coming, I've managed to grab it in a low power scope and follow it, the shape is apparent.

Good luck with catching it again, Ed.

Archived