NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mars, September 6th 2007

Starman

Martin, I believe it's around £800.

blumming hell Pete, my girlfriend would kill me :wink: Do you have any tips how could I improve the quality(resolution) of the images I am getting, particularly Mars please? I was thinking about buying 6x or 8x barlow as a substitute to what I am using now (4x imagemate and 2x barlow on top of that, is that 8x the focal length then please?). Onther thing I was thinking about was getting the toucam modified to mono ;)

Any advice very much appreciated

Martin :(

What's the telescope you're using Martin (diameter, f-ratio, etc.)? A 4x and a 2x to give 8x is probably pushing things too far as it is. Simply extending the focal length doesn't work as you'll be bypassing the optimum value for your particular chip. The Toucam is a great camera but a device with a more sensitive, less noisy chip would improve things more. Do a Google on the Astronomiser range of cameras and send an email to Andy Ellis who runs the show if you need to know more. These will only operate at Toucam speeds but use a better, mono-chip than the Toucam so this will improve things. To get colour you'll need to invest in a set of filters and ideally a wheel though.

For a cheaper (girlfriend friendly) solution...

Do you use an IR-blocking filter when you take your images? If not, this relatively inexpensive filter will definitely help. Camera chips are notoriously IR sensitive and an IR source like a planet will send out enough IR to over saturate the chip. To make matters worse, the IR light will probably not be in perfect focus so the result you get will be bloated and less detailed than the result you'd get with a filter in place. The filters cost around £20 if I remember correctly. Have a look at www.modernastronomy.co.uk.

Make sure you image when Mars is high in the sky. This means when the sky is getting bright due to the impending dawn. The extra height will mean a more stable atmosphere and better results.

Don't image when Mars is located over a heat source like a neighbour's boiler flue etc.

Do allow your telescope at least 2 hours cool down time outside. If it dews over during this time, use a 12v hair drier (the type you can get via a camping outlet for the purposes of defrosting things) to gently remove the dew.

Archived