NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I believe I've stumbled across a bargain

Or have I????

I today purchased a 2nd hand WO Megrez 80. Now before I say how much I paid, (It seemed like a bargain to me), what's the going rate these days for:

WO Megrez 80 II with

Dual speed crayford focuser

26mm Meade GX wide angle fully multi-coated EP

5mm Celestron X-Cel EP

Erecting Prism

2" extender

The optics seem to be in very good condition but won't know until I get the chance to try it out.

ef3bf0d5.jpg

One question, the mounting plate visible in the picture isn't compatible (it seems) with my EQ5 supplied short dovetail bar. What do I need to get to allow me to mount it on the EQ5?

Thanks for any/all advice & assistance.

Ivan

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ivan, I have the WO66 which has the same mounting plate, to attach it to your EQ5 you'll need a dovetail plate and an imperial threaded bolt like the bolt on a camera tripods.

I think this is the one I bought while ago:

http://www.scopesnsk.../dovetailm.html

Chris

p.s. the hole spacings on the dovetail arn't very good though so I needed to drill and extra hole.

Thanks Chris,

Your suggestion about the camera bolt gave me an idea. I was able to use the camera bolt that came with the EQ5 tube rings to jerry rig this up

Untitled.jpg

I'm not sure how stable that will prove to be but will allow me to at least have a peak (clouds depending) while I wait for the dovetail you linked.

Thanks for the response.

Now, would you care to hazard a guess at what it's worth? I really have no idea :-(

Thanks

Ivan

£80.00 is a silly price, well done!

To get the most out of it though, you will need a better fixing than the one you have (as you yourself said) Jerry rigged up! The bolt you need is 1/4" - 20 UNC although a 1/4" Whitworth will also do for this purpose - you could even cut down the bolt you are currently using but make absolutely sure that it is not still long enough to hit the bottom of the threaded hole in the telescope's shoe or you could be in a world of pain ......

It felt like a super deal to me and I know nout about the cost of these things. I'm one very very happy chappy indeed!!!!

Can't wait to get a look through it and see how my modded 1000d (IR filter removed) likes its new best buddy. I was very happy to find that the extender tube screwed apart and the threads marry up with the camera's T-Ring.

I think I'll do the lotto this week :grin:

you could even cut down the bolt you are currently using but make absolutely sure that it is not still long enough to hit the bottom of the threaded hole in the telescope's shoe or you could be in a world of pain ......

Great Idea Steve, I think I'll give that a go!

Ivan

Has the person you bought it off got any more? :D

Sadly no, I think they didn't really know what they had and picked £80 to match the 80 on the scope.

It's nice when the astro gods favour you.

I'm very jealous right now...congrats on such an awesome bargin. Wish I could stumble across something like that. How did you come across this bargin?

Just happened to be browsing Gumtree at lunch time (I normally check it out every week or so), had to get out of work early as someone else was scheduled to go look at it at 1700 this evening, I left work at 1530 and was at the door by 1600 and in the car with the scope by 1615. Not only was it cheap as chips but it was on my doorstep!

Hows this for perspective, if you wanted an extra 10mm of WO aperture you would need to spend over 10 times as much! :)

http://www.365astron...90b9f8735aff5a3

eeeekkkkk, so I'm guessing it's quite a good little scope for imaging then :-)

Had to remove one of the EQ5 bar weights and push the other up as far as I could to get anywhere near balance, think I need a lighter weight.

Great deal, well done - boxed up and ready to take anywhere! This could also do a job.

Deluxe Photo Vixen Dovetail with 1/4" Camera Screw | eBay

andrew

I might hold off on buying a dovetail for it as I presume I'll need rings to piggyback my 10x50 finder/guider somehow. Also, I take it there is a finder that can be purchased to fit it? Before doing anything, I want to check how it compares to the SWE 200p un-guided exposure duration before trailing becomes apparent.

Ivan

Or, as seems more likely, seeing how he knew nothing of the worth of the scope, it could well be stolen goods. A lot of stolen good seem to get moved through Gumtree.

It might be worth putting the word out at your local club to see if anyone's had their megrez nicked, before you get too happy! If so, they can pay you the 80 to reclaim it. Really sorry to put a bummer on your awesome find, and hope this isn't the case. Lovely looking scope ...

I'm pretty sure it's genuine, i picked it up from the house which was up for sale and they were having a clear out. The scope belonged to a ladies husband who passed away several years ago. She asked her daughter if she wanted her dads scope but she had no interest and told her mum to sell it. I don't think hot goods would be sold by a respectable home owner from the house. The case was covered in dust so had obviously been sitting in a corner somewhere for quite some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived