Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I believe I've stumbled across a bargain

Oh Wow!!! that's an awsome bargain - my Meg72 was £310 with a few added extras (s/h) and I thought that was a great deal.

That's the second best bargain I ever heard of - Congrats :)

Just out of interest , what was the first ?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha - I did omit it as a bit of a tease lol. A member here managed to get an EQ6 goto mount in full working order from a car boot sale for the princely sum of five UK pounds lol. It wasn't too old either IIRC. They're circa £930 brand new. :)

That's just ridiculous, well done, should be nice if you want to try imaging, but from an engineering point of view, be very careful with that temporary set up you have, you don`t want your dream purchase to turn into a disaster. A decent pair of CNC tube rings and an ADM dovetail should be high on your wanted list, enjoy :)

John.

That's just ridiculous, well done, should be nice if you want to try imaging, but from an engineering point of view, be very careful with that temporary set up you have, you don`t want your dream purchase to turn into a disaster. A decent pair of CNC tube rings and an ADM dovetail should be high on your wanted list, enjoy :)

John.

I've already changed it John, as suggested by Steve, I cut down the camera bolt I had. It's now mounted flush on the short dovetail. I just didn't feel right :-)

Haha - I did omit it as a bit of a tease lol. A member here managed to get an EQ6 goto mount in full working order from a car boot sale for the princely sum of five UK pounds lol. It wasn't too old either IIRC. They're circa £930 brand new. :)

WOW!!! Did he haggle :-)

Ordinarily when I buy something from someone on I'd haggle a bit, not this time though, thought I'd have a bit of a cheek.

I've already changed it John, as suggested by Steve, I cut down the camera bolt I had. It's now mounted flush on the short dovetail. I just didn't feel right :-)

I should think it did not, pleased you have now got it safe at least. But if you want to trip over to the dark side, not into imaging myself just yet, I would still go for the mounting rings and dovetail as a more solid mounting in the long run. I am sure there may other comments on this from imagers who have used this scope :)

John.

I should think it did not, pleased you have now got it safe at least. But if you want to trip over to the dark side, not into imaging myself just yet, I would still go for the mounting rings and dovetail as a more solid mounting in the long run. I am sure there may other comments on this from imagers who have used this scope :)

John.

Completely agree, a single screw holding it in place seems a little weak to me. I need to upgrade to rings anyway as I need a mechanism to mount my finder/guider. The CNC rings & dovetail will end up costing more than I paid for the scope :-)

Completely agree, a single screw holding it in place seems a little weak to me. I need to upgrade to rings anyway as I need a mechanism to mount my finder/guider. The CNC rings & dovetail will end up costing more than I paid for the scope :-)

Ivan, If you are not in a hurry, you can troll the buy and sell adds, I picked up my CNC rings for my ED100 for £50, but I did buy a long Williams dovetail from FLO to go with them, would have gone for ADM but I wanted to keep the weight down with all the add ons. Your Williams bits will come to something in the order of £123 if you buy new, substantially more than your scope, as you said, but lets face your new baby will be worth it, as they say, enjoy :)

John.

Ivan, If you are not in a hurry, you can troll the buy and sell adds, I picked up my CNC rings for my ED100 for £50, but I did buy a long Williams dovetail from FLO to go with them, would have gone for ADM but I wanted to keep the weight down with all the add ons. Your Williams bits will come to something in the order of £123 if you buy new, substantially more than your scope, as you said, but lets face your new baby will be worth it, as they say, enjoy :)

John.

Thanks John,

Silly question, does the mount head on the EQ5 accept the Williams dovetail?

Ivan

Ivan, It is a standard Vixen/Sinta fitting, I had to make a plate for mine to adapt from Losmandy to the ADM Vixen/Sinta dovetail, but ADM now produce one. There is also different puck fittings which adapt to the EQ5 series for fitting different dovetails so you should have no bother on that front :)

John.

Stumbled across a little bargain myself http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=290754338102, :huh: :huh: :huh:

Was bidding on this a few days ago, just had a look at the price now, must be made of gold.

I thought it was a skywatcher evostar 90/120 maybe - clearly not?

This ebay item has been mentioned a few times on the SGL Lounge, it's quite possible that the seller is involved with shill bidding on the item given it's totally unrealistic current price. I've reported it, and i'm sure a number of others have too.

Archived