Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lumicon Filters still out of stock

goolosh

It's very unfortunate. Lumicon still has no word on when they will be getting a restock of their nebula filters from Japan.

I was really hoping to get my hands on some. I suppose in the meantime i'll go with some Orion Ultrablocks.

Unless anyone has an opinion on other comparable filters to consider?

I've found Astronomik brand to be a high quality filter. I use the 2" O-III for visual observing. The Orion Ultrablock is pretty effective as well and seems decent quality. I don't know if the Castell brand filters are available to you in the USA but a number of members here have found them very good.

I think what my biggest concern is, i use a 6in scope so from the reviews i had read the Ultra Blocks do withhold more light than the Lumicons.

I def need all the light i can get with an aperture like mine. But i also want a filter that properly filters, so the low end ones tend to let too much bad light in ect.

I have heard that Lumicon have ceased trading? This came about based on an enquiry I made through Telescope House a few months back, as I was interested in the UHC(I settled on an O-III)

I have an Orion ultrablock filter that I use with my 8" SCT and it works very well both within my urban backyard and at darker locations.

The key thing here is; what do you want from your UHC filter?

A UHC filter is a narrowband filter that is designed to enhance the views of emission nebula, in particular Ha, Hb and OIII emitting nebulae. A narrower band pass means that the filter lets through less of the light you don't want. It is not necessarily the case that this automatically means less of the light you do want. The key is to look at the transmission graphs.

Saying that, on a small scope the accepted wisdom is to go for a lower band pass than on a larger scope. Of course the wider the band pass, the less the contrast enhancing effect. The Astronomiks UHC-E and the Baader UHC-S are examples of this type of UHC filter. For two filters of similar bandpasses, I would definitely go for the one with the highest transmission in the OIII and to a lesser extent the Ha band passes.

There is a useful collection of transmission graphs here.

http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/filters/curves.htm

I've found Astronomik brand to be a high quality filter. I use the 2" O-III for visual observing. The Orion Ultrablock is pretty effective as well and seems decent quality. I don't know if the Castell brand filters are available to you in the USA but a number of members here have found them very good.

As per John's comment I bought my first 2" OIII filter (Astronomik) the other week as couldnt find a lumicon - not been dissappointed at all! Have one night out due to clouds in a meade 5000 SWA 34mm and SW 10" newt- very impressed on number of objects including veil and dumbell. Really made the dumbell stand out, quickly placed it over the 9x50 viewfinder and also really enhanced in that. Also found the veil nebula and related around that area in cygnus- quite acheivement from moderately LP back garden! Would certainly recommend - just to set expectations it doesnt neccessarily enhance to magazine quality images, moreover enhances whats there and makes easier to find and highlights finer detail - thats from LP back garden at least - would love to try at dark sky site. Each nebula will be enhanced to different levels, but best for me was dumbell. Whilst wasnt cheap, from my view was great value - as for years wondered why could never find veil nebula :laugh:

I talked with an employee at Lumicon today. They said they cannot get stock because their supplier in Japan has not yet recovered from the Tsunami which decimated their production abilities.

They have very few items in stock as a result, no dielectric diagonals, none of their popular nebula filters (o-III and UHC). So it's definitely effecting their ability to be an active supplier of quality telescope parts.

I guess for those lucky enough to have some already, they'll just be a hot commodity! If you own any and don't use them you can probably ask above market value for them!

Archived