SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Small dob improvements

Hello SGL'ers. I have decided to make a few improvements to my 200p dob, nothing drastic, turtle waxing for easier movement, new raci finder, foam dew cap (or whatever it's called) anyway I have read a few posts from dob owners who have blackened the secondary mirror edges. Is this something that would cut stray light from entering the secondary ? & will it make much of a difference. I am very careful with my scope & would not do this if the difference would be negligible. Any advice on this would be great. Thanks all.

I blackened the edge of the secondary when flocking the OTA, anything which stops stray light from entering the focuser tube has got to be worth it in my opinion.

Flocking would make the greatest improvement if you are up for it.

Whilst I'm thinking about dob mods (I had a dob build that's largely turned into just making a complete new base from scratch :)

Adding a Wixey to measure alt angles is a common mod, as is adding setting circles to the case. This thread is worth a read:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/155345-dob-eqautorial-rotary-encoder-vs-setting-circles/

James

I blackened the secondary first, and didnt notice much difference. I think its one of those things that mounts up with other mods. I certainly noticed a difference after flocking though, not a massive difference, but a few of the harder to detect objects went from "i cant see that at all" to "i can juuuuuust about see that".

Archived