Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cant launch stellarium.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I'm missing something realy simple but I cannot get stellarium to launch on my lappy.

I have a i3 running on a 64bit system.

any ideas?

Hi,

Do you get any error message when you try to launch it ?

Clear Skies

Nope. nothing. Ive tried running as admin and in compatability mode for xp sp3. Still nowt.

I'm on win7 if that makes a difference.

Havent had it installed previousley as I havent had this machine long. I do have it on another laptop which is running vista (I shall try that next).

That is weird. Have you tried redownloading the package? Stellarium is 32bit but Win 7 / Vista 64 bits can run 32 bit stuff, and Stellarium should work too.

Are your graphic drivers up to date? Another member had issues with running Stellarium and we resolved them installing the Graphic Card's drivers.

It might look that you do not need the drivers as Windows Vista and 7 have some built in basic drivers but often these do not fully support 3D software.

Hmm I've never had a problem with stellarium.

I know it sounds like a daft question but..... You have got the windows version and not the linux version. Has it installed properly? it sounds like it isn't installed or a component is missing??

:confused:

Hi

I just dowloaded stellarium-0.11.3-win32 installed and ran without changing any settings ie run as admin comp mode and it runs fine here

My sys specs win 7 64bit / 4gb mem

have you checked the task manager to see if the app is listed in processes after you try and launch the prog

have reinstalled 3 times now and once with older version. still nada. doesnt show on proccesses.

have tried run as admin and all sorts of comapatabillitys still nada.

have put my graphics to performance and put my 3D to its highest settings. nowt.

drivers are all up to date.

graphics memory is 1696mb with 64mb dedicated. my other lappy has 1gb dedicated but the battery on it is shocking.

i bought this lappy for its 5hr battery and fairly decent spec so i can start taking it with to try webcam captures and run my mount with it.

this is seriousley doing my head in now and i am about to get a bigger rocket to stick it to!

sorry for bad punctuiation and grammer but got the rage :(

have reinstalled 3 times now and once with older version. still nada. doesnt show on proccesses.

have tried run as admin and all sorts of comapatabillitys still nada.

have put my graphics to performance and put my 3D to its highest settings. nowt.

drivers are all up to date.

graphics memory is 1696mb with 64mb dedicated. my other lappy has 1gb dedicated but the battery on it is shocking.

i bought this lappy for its 5hr battery and fairly decent spec so i can start taking it with to try webcam captures and run my mount with it.

this is seriousley doing my head in now and i am about to get a bigger rocket to stick it to!

sorry for bad punctuiation and grammer but got the rage :(

I understand how frustrating that can be!

I would try to start the computer in Safe Mode and see if that changes. Are you perhaps running any malware protection software or antivirus? I suspect that there might be an issue with the downloaded package, something might have gone wrong and some files might got corrupt (but it's weird if it happened with 2 different versions!)

What exact computer model and graphic card do you have there?

EDIT: Another thing to attempt: Try to locate Stellarium installation folder, open the file "config.ini" with notepad, and where it says "fullscreen" change the comment to FALSE instead of true. Save the and try again running the Software.

tried config to false. nada

having a bit of dificulty locating exact model of graphics. from what i can make out its intel hd graphics. 3400 chipset.

im on a toshiba, dont know the model.

7 home premium sp1 64bit

intel i3 m370 @ 2.4ghz

4gb ram

I'm away to lie down for an hour as I just want to break this now.

Cheers for all the help so far.

tried config to false. nada

having a bit of dificulty locating exact model of graphics. from what i can make out its intel hd graphics. 3400 chipset.

im on a toshiba, dont know the model.

7 home premium sp1 64bit

intel i3 m370 @ 2.4ghz

4gb ram

I'm away to lie down for an hour as I just want to break this now.

Cheers for all the help so far.

I guess we're now getting closer. It's a very similar Graphic Card to the one used by the other fella who could not run Stellarium :)

I suspect that your system is running the Microsoft distribution of the drivers, and although up to date, they do not support Open GL, the graphic library used to render and draw the Stellarium content. The original Intel drivers should do the job.

I recommend that you try the following quick steps that fixed the issue in the other case:

Click the following link:

http://www.intel.com...detect/graphics and then select "Check your system for the latest updates".

An Intel utility should run and detect what hardware is needed. That will let you download the correct drivers.

Close everything else before installing. When the installation is finished, completely reboot Windows.

Try to run Stellarium again, hopefully you won't need to break your laptop anymore :)

Keep us posted :police:

ok tziuriky thanks for all the help so far. I folowed the link and done what was asked but got message saying my drivers were not default and modified by the manafacturer and to change to intel drivers may result in system instability.

beauty.

so ive snooped a bit online and i am wondering wether this would be the right thing to do or if im just goin to totaly screw my system.

http://answers.yahoo...27151847AARmzws

Any advice as always is more than welcome.

ok tziuriky thanks for all the help so far. I folowed the link and done what was asked but got message saying my drivers were not default and modified by the manafacturer and to change to intel drivers may result in system instability.

beauty.

so ive snooped a bit online and i am wondering wether this would be the right thing to do or if im just goin to totaly screw my system.

http://answers.yahoo...27151847AARmzws

Any advice as always is more than welcome.

It is possible that your motherboard (with integrated graphics) has intel chips repackaged by another company who also repackaged the drivers, that's why that message.

If it was my computer, I would take the risk and give it a go as I doubt it would cause such instability or screw up the system :) .

The procedure you have linked will do basically the same so it should be good as well, if you have HP. If anything goes wrong Windows should be able to rollback to the previous drivers, or else you could start the computer in Safe Mode and reinstall the previous drivers, if needed.

I couldnt find the right drivers for my tosh.

I tried a seperate user account incase it was something I done when setting up but no.

I even thought about running it in sandbox but dont see how that would change anything.

Toshiba it seems have some sort of bizzare graphics accelerator thing goin on which is what photoshop turns off when it starts up but even that doesnt make a difference to stellarium.

I play pkr in full 3D and while it is proccessor intensive it runs fine.

I'm beat. I have given up. As I said I shall just use stellarium on my old laptop and adjust the dates for when I am hoping to get out.

I can plan my viewing and I suppose thats the main thing.

Thanks again for all your help :)

I couldnt find the right drivers for my tosh.

I tried a seperate user account incase it was something I done when setting up but no.

I even thought about running it in sandbox but dont see how that would change anything.

Toshiba it seems have some sort of bizzare graphics accelerator thing goin on which is what photoshop turns off when it starts up but even that doesnt make a difference to stellarium.

I play pkr in full 3D and while it is proccessor intensive it runs fine.

I'm beat. I have given up. As I said I shall just use stellarium on my old laptop and adjust the dates for when I am hoping to get out.

I can plan my viewing and I suppose thats the main thing.

Thanks again for all your help :)

YW and I'm sorry that you gave up, but anyway you're not lost since you can still run the app elsewhere :)

Most likely you can run other 3D-capable apps if they are built around the Microsoft Direct X library even without the full Open GL library or drivers installed.

Should you have any further issues with any other software or game, you will have to check Toshiba's website

or even email them :) or still attempt with the Intel Drivers, since the chip is still an intel one it shouldn't cause the extinction of life on Earth :D:)

I wish you clear skies and happy observing :D

Right fixed it. I started the roll back driver then force shut down the lappy so it would both screw the driver and start up with options for safe mode etc.

I started with windows preconfigured drivers and it reset driver card back to factory. I was then able to install and run stellarium.

BUT.

The graphics were very slow and lagging and buggy on all apps not just stellarium so I bit the bullet and updated drivers.

Now my lappy is running fast and smooth again but alas stellarium is again jiggered.

I have 1 more trick up my sleeve but that will be for later as yet again I have had it.

Shall report back soon.

Ok tried again but this time tried installing the intel generic driver but my puta wouldnt let it install. Tried 4 different drivers.

the only thing I can think of now is break the driver again and try and install the generic intel drivers upon restart instead of letting windows do it for me and installing the tosh modded driver.

Or yet again I might just give up again. (you get the feeling that I'm not a quiter lol)

WWWOOOOOO000000000OOOOOOOO HHHHHOOOOOOOO000000OOOOOOOO

FINALY

rebroke and this time went to basic vga graphics. Then tried to update my previously d/l drivers but again windows wouldnt let me.

So tried the intel auto detect but that crashed ie everytime I hit go and done nothing on firefox so decided to run an exe direct from driver d/l page.

this managed to get me updated to intels latest driver which thankfully has the turboboost accellerator and my graphics started to look like normal again.

A quick restart to confirm the changes and a nervous d/l of stellarium again and finaly we have success.

A total of about 10 hours trying to get this work. I think I need a medal of some sort.

Thanks again TzuiRiky for all your help and sticking with me on this.

Archived