Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

qhy5 on a 9 x 50 finder?

Austin

Hi all,

I would just like some advice if anyone has used the qhy5 and 9 x 50 finder for guiding prior to buying? I am starting to gather bits up for imaging on a budget, and this is one of my options. Please could you let me know the pros and cons. I will eventually have a SW 150 PDS on the HEQ5 mount.

Any help would be appreciated ;)

Ive used a finderguider (9x50 + QHY5) for two years now and it works well. And the pros far outweigh the cons:

Pros:

1) Lightweight

2) Cheap (in comparison)

3) Always finds a guidestar

4) Can be put on any OTA with a synta finder shoe.

5) Can be used to aid calibration of GoTo via PHD

6) Will guide up to a FL of 1000mm, so the 750mm of the 150P is well within range (Ive done it myself).

Cons:

1) You need a better bracket than the stock synta one as it may introduce flex. A good temp measure is to pack the bracket out by wrapping some masking tape aroung the finder before inserting it in the bracket (it will stiffen it up a bit). Also tape up or velcro your cables so they dont hang heavily off the back of the camera which would again cause flex or guiding issues.

2) Initial focusing is a pain, but once done you never need change it

3) No more cons :)

What you need:

1) Standard synta 9x50 finder

2) Finder bracket (preferably a good one, but the stock one will get you started if stiffened up)

3) QHY5 + ST4 cable

4) 9x50 - T-thread adapter (available from modern astrononomy)

5) A dewshield for your finderguider (easily made)

6) PHD guiding

7) A bit of patience to set it all up :D

Hope that helps

Rob

Another vote for this system - I've been using it for a couple of years with no problems. As said the trick is to ensure the finder is securely mounted, I find the normal shoe is adequate as long as you tighten the locking screw securely. So far I've never needed to "re-align" the finder as there has always been at least a couple of guide stars visible in the fov.

I've used the Meade 8x50 finder with Star Shoot Autoguider similar setup and no adapters needed ,just a hacksaw :)

Don't know how it works on long focal length scopes as only used it on f/6 refractor,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've had great success using an Orion Autoguider with 9 X 50 finder, coupled together with an adapter from Modern Astronomy. Had some initial problems with setting suitable parameters in PHD, but information gleaned from SGL eventually sorted that issue, and I've not had a problem since. Always manage to find a suitable guide star.

Regards, Herrman

Archived