Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2nd go at DSO

Arushin

Well... finally got the guidescope sorted. It's not the best but will do for now. Being able to guide at last I got a few longer exposures, but still not long enough to pull out a lot of detail. Need to read up on taking darks & flats etc so these are 3 x 10 mins each at ISO 400 stacked in DSS.

Seem to be an improvement on my first try but a long way to go still... encouragement and pointers greatly appreciated.

post-6415-0-47008000-1343157938_thumb.jp

post-6415-0-58287400-1343157945_thumb.jp

Being able to guide at last I got a few longer exposures, but still not long enough to pull out a lot of detail. Need to read up on taking darks & flats etc so these are 3 x 10 mins each at ISO 400 stacked in DSS.

I would think if you are getting 10 minute subs its not the fact that your exposures are not 'long enough' that really is good, maybe you could try a higher ISO, say 800 and lots more subs stacked.

Really nice Andromeda and whirlpool by the way :D

Great start! Really looking good. I would jump your ISO to 800 and You'll see a lot more come out of those images. But keep adding more subs and with darks and flats and your noise will drastically drop. But your doing a good job so far.

Great start. 10 mins is more than long enough! Just get lots more of them to reduce the noise and the detail will be there if you know how to get it out using photoshop. That's the hard bit. As Anweniel says, iso 800 seems the norm for deep sky stuff.

I also agree with higher ISO and more subs:), I use ISO's 800-1600 with my 1100D and it seems to work well as I think the newer DSLR's have really good signal to noise, great job so far, I found that increasing the saturation can help a bit on objects like M31, if you stacked in DSS try increasing the saturation to about 15-20%:)

great stuff mate! I would say the same that other have said about ISO: 800 is a good medium spot. Also some darks might rapidly improve the stretching limit of your detail and they are a very simple process... no need to read much. Just use the same exposure time and ISO from the Lights session and try to do it at the same temperature ( iwould suppose 2 or 3ºC wouldnt be a serious problem). And, of course, don't forget to put the scope's Cap on, like APT kindly reminds! :)

Cheers,

Rui

Archived