NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observatory question

dmahon

Phase 1 - cutting down trees - is part way done

Phase 2 - lighting the big bonfire of tree parts that sits right where my observatory is hoping to go - was completed at the weekend

Phase 3 is the building of the observatory

I'm fed up of taking half an hour (or much more, when the inevitable little thing goes wrong) setting up and also of tearing down at 3am. Especially as I have to heft 50kg or more of gear. I really would like an observatory. Fortunately I have the space for one, and although I will not get a view east, it is good in the other directions.

My plan would be a roll off roof, however I'm not that keen on the traditional rolling off onto stilts - especially as I think it will look a bit odd in my garden given the direction I need mine to roll off (away from the house towards the tall trees). Have many people used a sliding roof over (or under) warm room roof? That would be the most aesthetically pleasing solution, specially if I could still have an apex (rather than flat) roof somehow.

Roll-over-roof is probably more practical if your having a warm room or other (garden shed) attached to the observatory. See Gina's obsy build (just look at the pics unless you've a week to spare) :grin: Didn't mean it Gina!

Mine has a scope room and warm room and the scope room roof rolls off over the warm room. Roll off roof is an apex type and warm room has a flat roof - both covered with rubber roofing (easy to put on and very long lasting).

Her's a view of it from the north :-

post-13131-0-51964900-1343144817_thumb.j

Roll-over-roof is probably more practical if your having a warm room or other (garden shed) attached to the observatory. See Gina's obsy build (just look at the pics unless you've a week to spare) :grin: Didn't mean it Gina!

I'm intending to produce a new thread which is a precis of the tremendously long thread - when I get round to it :D

I was envisaging more like 2 apex roofed sheds, the same width but not necessarily the same length, with one roof somehow rolling over the other.

Like Malc-c's, but with two apex roofs.

I suppose the alternative way of having it look very much like a traditional large apex shed, without stilts, is having some kind of hinge opening roof instead.

I was envisaging more like 2 apex roofed sheds, the same width but not necessarily the same length, with one roof somehow rolling over the other.

Like Malc-c's, but with two apex roofs.

I'd thought about doing something like that as a way of maintaining headroom in the central section of the obsy whilst keeping the wall heights relatively low.

I suppose the alternative way of having it look very much like a traditional large apex shed, without stilts, is having some kind of hinge opening roof instead.

I saw a video of a "hinged" obsy roof on youtube recently. The chap had it folding off to lie on top of his bungalow roof. I didn't feel entirely convinced about it, I have to admit.

There was one I saw that had a lovely counterweighted "swing off" roof like an industrial wheelie bin. I've never been able to find it again though.

James

Archived