Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ mount and GOTO

Hi, If one adds goto to an eq5 for example, does the mount still need to be polar alighned?. Reason being behind my house is a park and one of the trees hides Polaris. So i have been stuck to using an alt-az mount. Thanks.

clear skies, Den.

Yes, it will still needs polar alignment. I don't think any GEM can work without polar alignment.

However, you don't need Polaris to perform polar alignment. Celestron's Nexstar system has a polar alignment algorithm that is not based on polaris but I don't know whether it has been added to Skywatcher's synscan yet. Drift alignment is a manual polar alignment method that works without polaris.

Yes, it will still needs polar alignment. I don't think any GEM can work without polar alignment.

However, you don't need Polaris to perform polar alignment. Celestron's Nexstar system has a polar alignment algorithm that is not based on polaris but I don't know whether it has been added to Skywatcher's synscan yet. Drift alignment is a manual polar alignment method that works without polaris.

There is a beta version of the Synscan firmware (v3.28beta21) which has a polar realignment routine.

Peter

There is a beta version of the Synscan firmware (v3.28beta21) which has a polar realignment routine.

Peter

Can you explain this, A lot of people (including me) will find this interesting and where do you get the Beta??

Archived