SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Open Club  ·  33 members

West Midlands

Local astro societies

PorkyB

What experience have people had of the various local astro societies. I am primarily interested in getting out there and observing but there doesn't seem to be a lot of that going on (even if it wasn't cloudy).

To get the ball rolling, here is my view of Birmingham Astro Soc. I have been going along to the Wednesday meetings, on and off, since April. My first impression was that they are a friendly bunch of people, around 50/50 split at the meetings between newbies like me and more experienced astronomers. The meetings are mostly informal, sit around, have a cup of tea and a chat. Whether the meeting is worthwhile depends on who there is to chat to. It is possible to sit in a corner and be ignored all night, so if you go along you do have to be prepared to start a conversation.

My biggest gripe is that there seems to be very little observing going on, either organised or informal. I have asked on several occasions if anyone fancies meeting up for a session and so far have had no takers. This does seem a little mad to me, either everyone is happy in their existing routine and feels no need to change, or they spend a lot of time talking about astronomy but not much time doing it.

They do a monthly talk, some of which look quite intersting, but I haven't been able to get along to any yet. They do organise a few public events (at the Lickeys or Clent, etc.) throughout the year.

I have joined, and paid my £28, for one reason: I will be able to use their viewing platform on the roof of Aston University on Wednesday evenings. From late August this will give me a view of the night sky that I can't get from my garden and without having to travel far. For the part of the year that it is dark enough to use this, it works out at less than £1 a go. The funny thing is that the last time there were scopes on the roof (back in April when it was just about dark enough) there was a lot of interest, everyone wanting to have a look.

Has anyone else been along? What did you think? What about the various other local groups?

If Aston University was nearer to me, I would seriously consider joining to take advantage of the viewing platform as well.

I would love to join a local group who were more interested in observing rather than just talking. Failing that, just meeting up with 2 or 3 other enthusiasts for observing sessions would be great. I've got a Skywatcher Evostar 120, will soon have a SkyTee 2 to put it on, but have lousy viewing conditions from my garden. I don't drive, but maybe there is someone out there who does have transport and better skies, but no 'scope, who would be interested in pooling our resources so we both benefit?

I've thought about Bromsgrove before, it's only around 10-12 miles from me but I've always been a little put off when they say the first visit is free then they encourage you to join. I usually need 2 or 3 visits to know if I'm going to be happy in a group/club. I'd rather not decide on parting with £35 from just one single visit and then maybe finding it's not for me :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The cloud is the main thing stopping me joining a local group. One set evening a month - what are the chances of it being cloud free? I am sure the social gathering side is great, but at the moment I am more interested in actually getting out and observing. I think online groups who can pick and choose their meeting days are more successful when it comes to actually practicing astronomy.

The trouble is you only get a few hours notice of clear sky and thats probably not enough for people to find a new theread, in my experience PM ing contact numbers is the way to go then a few calls can gather a number of people to join up for an evenings observing, but then you have some who are too far away to make a site the other side of the mids connurbation, so a number of sites need assessing as to their suitability and small groups gather at them. What about a pub meet to just get to know each other?

I chair a recently formed work society... very informal, real fun, no experts either.. However following a successful bid for funds we were able to buy a couple of 8" reflectors and a few pairs of binos and some nice eps. We had a couple of pitches at sgl7 and have three for the Peaks starparty in October. Biggest issue for us (apart from cloud) is dark sites! anyone know of any where we can rock up for a few hours south Birmingham area..?

• 1 month later...

I've thought about Bromsgrove before, it's only around 10-12 miles from me but I've always been a little put off when they say the first visit is free then they encourage you to join. I usually need 2 or 3 visits to know if I'm going to be happy in a group/club. I'd rather not decide on parting with £35 from just one single visit and then maybe finding it's not for me :(

Hi Daz, the club is quite flexible with the subscription arrangements, I'm sure if you explained your concerns you could get a few free sessions to feel out the club. I know what you mean about deciding from a single visit, during the winter months the club holds a free first monday of the month informal session, a great opportunity to chat informally to members without a fixed agenda - certainly a way to learn about the members and have a good ole natter about the aspects of the hobby you enjoy.

I can thoroughly recommend Redditch Astronomical Society. We meet 1st Monday of every month (except August) and have a star party twice a year (next one's 20th October). Meetings alternate between general members' evenings like we had tonight and ones where a guest speaker comes along. As it costs the Society to use the venue (at a school) it's been necessary to ask non-members to pay £2.

Occasionally some members get together for observing sessions which, due to the capriciousness of our weather are often arranged at short notice.

I've considered Birmingham Astronomical Society myself but somehow can't imagine the roof of Aston Uni in the heart of Birmingham being blessed with particularly dark skies!

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

I've considered Birmingham Astronomical Society myself but somehow can't imagine the roof of Aston Uni in the heart of Birmingham being blessed with particularly dark skies!

It depends what you are comparing it to. It is a very welcome alternative to my tiny garden which is overlooked by large buildings and far too many street lights. We are just getting into the time of year when it is worth taking my scope and when the weather is good it certainly is worth setting up there for a couple of hours. The new obsy dome is almost ready to use as well.

As an update to my original posting I must say that I am still going regularly on a Wednesday night and enjoying it very much. They are all a friendly bunch and I have even found a couple of regular observing buddies, so it's definitely been a positive experience.

I agree with many of the comments on this thread, i don't want to join one, as I would rather be outside.

This is why I follow these guys : http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/136174-interested-in-joining-a-new-warwickshire-observers-group/

They observe, when clear - no set dates ! They tend to do 3 weekends out of 4 & occassional midweek (especially now the nights are darker)

I agree with many of the comments on this thread, i don't want to join one, as I would rather be outside.

This is why I follow these guys : http://stargazerslou...bservers-group/

They observe, when clear - no set dates ! They tend to do 3 weekends out of 4 & occassional midweek (especially now the nights are darker)

The Sibbertoft site is a 100 mile round-trip form central Birmingham, so it's not really an option for me when there are good sites much closer to home.

That's my problem, with some of the other sites listed here - but for Coventry side of the West Midlands, it's well worth a visit.

I hoped it would be of use, to some more my way of the Midlands.

Archived