Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First ever First Light report (from a total beginner so bear with me)!!!

Momentous

So, after having my Skywatcher 200P Dob for almost three weeks I finally got to take it outside and use it!

I was out last night (10/07) for two hours and it was awesome! I'll be honest, at the moment I don't have too much of a clue what I'm actually looking at but simply being able to view anything was a bonus.

Zeroed in the finder scope and I was off and away! I'm not sure if I managed to view a double star? Seemed bright in the finder scope and when I looked through the eyepiece there were two stars that were right next to each other.

I just spent two happy hours looking up and trying to take in how much stuff is up there. Yes, what I'm viewing doesn't seem to match my Planisphere (still trying to sort that one out) but It was a great first time experience and felt fantastic knowing that I can now view all this...stuff!

Thanks for listening.

Getting the hang of using any kind of map of the stars takes a bit of practice, be it a planisphere, stellarium or paper star charts. There always seem to be far too many stars or not enough. It gets easier with practice.

James

Sounds like you had fun..Point the scope at the Pole star and see if you can see the little faint blue star next to the bright Pole star..

The pole star is due north and about 50 degrees up in the sky..

Mark

Archived