NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

trouble with dso's down under.

i've been out most nights over the last week whilst on holidays near sydney and i'm having problems with dso's using a 130 heritage. problem is.... there's so many of them i'm not sure which one i'm looking at. :laugh: ok so it's not the worst problem in the world but i'm trying to tick them off as i go but i can only do so when i'm certain which one i'm looking at.ok ok i guess i'm gloating but in all honesty it is a bit frustrating. i know i've seen at least 10 but i can only claim 4 with any certainty.sorry, i'll shut up now.hope you're getting some good nights back home, we're certainly overdue.

scott

Set up Stellarium's Ocular plugin for your scope and eyepieces and take screenshots of each, that'll help you identify them.

Here's to a huge spider setting up residence in the tube :D

I agree with both of the above comments! >:(

Sounds like you're having a lovely time though in all seriousness :D

yeah loki i'm having a great time stargazing but in all honesty i'm missin' the wife and kids back home. i was born and raised in oz but the uk has been home for the last 10 yrs and will be again as soon as i get my visa's sorted. s'pose i should just enjoy it while i can and anyway, i can't imagine the ribbing i'd be getting back home (uk) about the cricket if i was there :(

I remember getting a bit lost in the skies when I was in South Africa. I used 15x70 bins there, and after a while got my bearings. My highlight there was seeing the LMC, SMC and 47 Tucanae in one session. Sydney was great as well, in May last year. I was much better prepared then. I do not know whether you have any binoculars there, but they help a lot in getting your bearings.

I remember getting a bit lost in the skies when I was in South Africa. I used 15x70 bins there, and after a while got my bearings. My highlight there was seeing the LMC, SMC and 47 Tucanae in one session. Sydney was great as well, in May last year. I was much better prepared then. I do not know whether you have any binoculars there, but they help a lot in getting your bearings.

unfortunately lmc and smc are too low in the sky from where i'm viewing and no binos :(. still the milky way looks pretty damn fine though :)

I'm only 2 hours west of Sydney and it hasn't stopped raining since I picked up my new 102mm Skywatcher 2 weeks ago.

I think we did have one clear night but the yard was way too wet and temps below zero C, I decided to stay in.

Where in Sydney are you getting the clear skies and where in Sydney is it actually dark enough to use a scope??

I moved from Sydney (Bexley) in 97, up to the country (Young) 4-5 hours away because I couldn't see a thing through the scope without driving an hour to a friends place.

I'm only 2 hours west of Sydney and it hasn't stopped raining since I picked up my new 102mm Skywatcher 2 weeks ago.

I think we did have one clear night but the yard was way too wet and temps below zero C, I decided to stay in.

Where in Sydney are you getting the clear skies and where in Sydney is it actually dark enough to use a scope??

I moved from Sydney (Bexley) in 97, up to the country (Young) 4-5 hours away because I couldn't see a thing through the scope without driving an hour to a friends place.

down in the illawarra actually, thought i'd say sydney to avoid confusion....well that didn't work did it. :)

sorry messed up something there

i've got family nr young (temora). i don't know how far that is from young but not far i think (or maybe i'm wrong). i'd like to get out there while i'm here.

i've got family nr young (temora). i don't know how far that is from young but not far i think (or maybe i'm wrong). i'd like to get out there while i'm here.

Temora is quite close to Young, can't remember how far exactly, I moved from Young 12 years ago.

If you get out that way go to the Temora aviation museum, I think you would enjoy it, old spitfire's and the like.

Ah, Illawarra, that's a different kettle of fish as far as nice skies go. As long as you can avoid street lighting that is.

Archived