In the Classifieds part of the site under a user info there is a green box with a Reputation rating.

Could someone explain the following...

Is it used as part of the Classified system to given an idea as to the reputation of the user.?

If I buy/sell from a user from the classifieds and the sale is perfect, can I increase their reputation of being a good seller/buyer?

Having brought several items via the classifieds my Reputation score has not changed from the default of 10 that was given when the new site went live a few weeks back. So kind of wondering it's purpose

Thanks.

The reputation is affected by how many times someone has pressed the green 'like this' button on one of your posts. I don't think it's anything to do with buy/selling reputation like on ebay.

edit: if you look at someones profile you'll see the same thing about them

As username suggests, reputation doesn't seem to have anything to do with being a good buyer or seller. However, that can be qualified, for one will feel more at ease if they're buying from a regular here, so that's why folk have to post more than 50x (I think) before they can start selling which makes a whole good deal of sense. If, on top of that, our given buyer is also dealing with someone with a nice level of reputation (+10 looks ace in my books), then it can only help add to peace of heart.

I think it should be renamed.

The word reputation suggests a level of trust a user has whereas in reality it is just a meaningless level as it just reflect how many times someone has clicked the "Like This" button.

If everyone who read this post agrees that the word Reputation should reflect a level of trust then please click the "like this" button to the right of this post. If the level goes up then I shall email Admin and request a change. If no-one clicks the "like this" button then what is the point of have a like this button?

In fact if you don't agree with the change of name then please click the "like This" button.

This way we shall see what people like.

When you click on the like button in a post it adds a reputation point to that user.

It has nothing to do with classifieds.

The like button / reputation is a core part of the forum, the classifieds are a add on.

I have a reputation of 52, but I have never used the classifieds on the new software.

Ant

Personally I think it's fine as it is... Like anything you just need to know what it means and how it works in order to interpret it better and now you do :grin: .

By the way, the new forum software is awesome - well done all.

Thanks for the info

Is the word "Reputation" only used in the Classifieds part of the forum as I do not see it used in connection with the green like box anywhere else.

Perhaps you could alter the bit in the classifieds code to remove the word or rename it to "Likes" so it does not give the wrong impression when a user is going to buy/sell.

If not then perhaps a sticky somewhere in the classifieds or another board to indicate that the word "Reputation" does not refer to the reputation of the user but to the number of "likes" the user has recieved.

Is the word "Reputation" only used in the Classifieds part of the forum as I do not see it used in connection with the green like box anywhere else.

Hi there.

Reputation isn't only used in Classifieds - it's displayed when you click on a user's profile.

I think it's great that SGL's classified section is back, but we should all be aware that in the past this service has generated much debate and not a little frustration and hassle for the Admins which caused it to be suspended for quite a long time...

Is the use of the word reputation on the classifieds section really such a big issue? The matra for anyone should be caveat emptor - buyer beware - any way and buyers and sellers alike have to take personal repsonsibility for trading on here IMHO. It is easy enough to check out member's posts and their history and this isn't eBay...

Just my 2p worth.

Hi there.

Reputation isn't only used in Classifieds - it's displayed when you click on a user's profile.

I think it's great that SGL's classified section is back, but we should all be aware that in the past this service has generated much debate and not a little frustration and hassle for the Admins which caused it to be suspended for quite a long time...

Is the use of the word reputation on the classifieds section really such a big issue? The matra for anyone should be caveat emptor - buyer beware - any way and buyers and sellers alike have to take personal repsonsibility for trading on here IMHO. It is easy enough to check out member's posts and their history and this isn't eBay...

Just my 2p worth.

Totally agree, it's no big deal.

Hi there.

Sorry, perhaps I am being thick (don't all agree at once) but where is the word Reputation used in a users profile? The only thing there (which I really am not sure what it means) is a grenn box with a number of 'like'.

Sorry, perhaps I am being thick (don't all agree at once) but where is the word Reputation used in a users profile? The only thing there (which I really am not sure what it means) is a grenn box with a number of 'like'.

Humble apologies to all; you are quite correct, Richard, in that the word Reputation does not appear there. Hopefully the spirit of what I was trying to say is still clear despite my error.

Humble apologies to all; you are quite correct, Richard, in that the word Reputation does not appear there. Hopefully the spirit of what I was trying to say is still clear despite my error.

Still want to know if the green box is what you are talking about? I have no idea; it say I have '69 Excellent' and when I hover on it says 'sologuitarist61 has 69 likes' but is that me liking someone elses posts, or other people liking mine? :huh: :huh:

Confused of Cornwall

Archived