Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Any alternative to stellarium? :(

tingting44

hey guys i was loving stellarium in conjunction with my skywatcher 130p (click on object and scope slews) but now my cruddy laptop has gone away for repair and come back it seems even worse :( i downloaded stellarium again and its come up with 2 stell icons (the normal icon and one that says NO OPEN GL2???) but now when i start stell everything i do it has about a 10 second delay and it is sooo frustrating i tell you :( so im just wondering if there are any other programs like stellarium that i can view the night sky and also connect my AZGOTO skywatcher 130p ? :( gutting really as i was loving stellarium :( any feedback at all will be greatly appreciated. thanks

awww thank you kindly for your fast reply buddy :) will try it now :) hope to see you a lot more on here, ive been signed up for a while, getting use to the setup now so no excuse's for me :) ill post up some of my moon shots later, 30 stack with 30 darks :) going to try M42 next :) thanks again buddy

edit, aww that s a program you have to buy :( is there any free ones as im really quite skint at the moment :(

thanks also laser! WOW there are soooo many more buttons compared to stellarium, going to take a while to get use to it, one thing it does not seem to be in real time llike stellarium? as in stell the time moves in real time, but the time on CDC just stays still is this right or can i configure to real time? sorry for these questions i am a noob! just ask Tamiyacowboy on here, he is going to hate me being on here too loooooool :) (only joking buddy, tam is my astro mentor on a certain other forum lol)

edit, mhh this is very weird lol i just tried searching for the bright stars i normally use to align (sometimes) which are vega and deneb and vega is coming up as Alp Lyr? and deneb is coming up as Alp Cyg?? lol :(

thanks also laser! WOW there are soooo many more buttons compared to stellarium, going to take a while to get use to it, one thing it does not seem to be in real time llike stellarium? as in stell the time moves in real time, but the time on CDC just stays still is this right or can i configure to real time? sorry for these questions i am a noob! just ask Tamiyacowboy on here, he is going to hate me being on here too loooooool :) (only joking buddy, tam is my astro mentor on a certain other forum lol)

edit, mhh this is very weird lol i just tried searching for the bright stars i normally use to align (sometimes) which are vega and deneb and vega is coming up as Alp Lyr? and deneb is coming up as Alp Cyg?? lol :(

You can make CdC refresh the screen more frequently in Settings. I've set refresh 30 seconds, doesn't need to be realtime 'live' for my uses.

thanks laser! i think ill have to go through all setting b4 i make any more posts and do your heads in lol your right i dont suppose it needs to be real time, just what im use to in stellarium is all, thanks buddy, this naming of the stars is very very weird tho looool

well ive had a good fiddle about and got things the way i like them i think lol, just connected my scope to the laptop and clicked on telescope on CDC then click configure and i get a box coming up says invalid class string.....press ok to ignore and risk data corruption or click cancel to kill the program? :(

edit, well i have downloaded ascom and CDC lets me into the configure screen now and is giving me the options to choose scope which i click on then this list comes up which is baffling me lol

simulator?

telescope simulator .NET

POTH hub

pipe diagnostic tool

generic hub

ASCOM DOME control

does any one know what my skywatch AZGOTO mount would be ? :(

edit, well i downloaded a celestron ASCOM driver and i now have control, im not sure if its sync'd or how accurate it is as im just sat in my front room with scope connected lol but i click on screen and scope slews!!!! GOOD ENOUGH for me for tonight lol least i knows it works, im done in after all that so thats it for me lol see you guys tomorrow to do your head in even more i guess lol :D

The Stellarium issues may be graphics driver related, have you tried checking your drivers are correct and upgrading if needed?

Personally as a novice I favour the simplicity and realistic view of Stellarium over the maps of CdC, but I don't deny the latter program can be useful.

I got my EQ6 running with Cartes du Ciel quite easily after doing some research so it's a vote from me. I did try to get it to work with stellarium but found it to be a right pain plus it uses far more system resources & laptop was struggling.

hey guys i was loving stellarium in conjunction with my skywatcher 130p (click on object and scope slews) but now my cruddy laptop has gone away for repair and come back it seems even worse :( i downloaded stellarium again and its come up with 2 stell icons (the normal icon and one that says NO OPEN GL2???) but now when i start stell everything i do it has about a 10 second delay and it is sooo frustrating i tell you :( so im just wondering if there are any other programs like stellarium that i can view the night sky and also connect my AZGOTO skywatcher 130p ? :( gutting really as i was loving stellarium :( any feedback at all will be greatly appreciated. thanks

Hi there,

If your computer was sent to repair, given the error, it is very likely that the drivers of your graphics card weren't installed,

limiting the usage of software that needs 3D rendering capabilities.

It should be possible to fix the issue and resurrect stellarium very easily and for free.

If you need any (free) help give me a shout including your computer details :)

Clear Skies

WOOOO HOOOOO thanks tz i followed your instructions via pm AND IM ROLLING Again now with stellarium!!!! EPIC thank you soooo much lol :D :D :D

You're welcome :p

Glad I could help :)

If anyone was wondering, in this specific case the issue was that the drivers for the graphic card Intel GMA4500MHD were not installed in the system by the folks who have "repaired" the machine. Since Windows can draw the desktop at a proper resolution just using some basic 2D drivers or framebuffers, sometimes the lack of the real drivers supporting the Hardware goes unnoticed (but Tech people should be careful!) , unless some applications fail on rendering 3D instructions.

Since the chipset in this case is Intel, we easily run an Intel tool that detects and downloads the proper driver for the current hardware and operating system, adding the software that Windows needed to control the 3D capabilities of the card, so that Stellarium can finally work :D :D :D

Enjoy Stellarium and ... Clear Skies :D

Try Voyager 4.5 by Carina Software

http://www.carinasoft.com/voyager.html

I was first introduced to it by my astrophysics lecturer at University and its been used ever since.

Stellarium was quite basic back then but has grown into 'the' simulated night-sky package and is probably the best and easiest to use.

Voyager offers a bit more, yeah the graphics are a bit more basic like Cartes du Ciel but it has more data in it and really cool 'Solar System' and 'Stellar Neighbourhood' features. You can also control your EQ mount via it.

I don't know if you've worked this out or have abandoned Cart du ciel but Alp Lyr (Alpha Lyrae) is the astronomical designation for Vega (Vega is a traditional name - Arabic I think) and Alpha Cygni is the astronomical term for Deneb ('Tail' in Arabic apparently).

It's good to get used to this as star charts and atlases tend to use Greek letters - I printed a Greek alphabet off because I know a few squiggly lines but I'm still getting used to others. Now I use the alphabet in the front of the Sky and Telescope Pocket Atlas.

ETA: Stellarium is great and I use it a lot but I used Cart du Ciel last night to print a star map to plan for tonight (so I could write on it rather than my atlas) and it's great for that.

Now I've cursed myself - the clouds have started to appear on the BBC weather site and are getting later and later (aargh).

thanks guys, im not using CDC any more, thanks to TZ my stellarium is fully working again now and im back in love, mwahahahaha. no disrespect at all to the other programs but i just love stellarium :D

edit, that is a good idea about printing the star maps out on CDC carl, i will probably use it for that :D i know it seems like forever since we last had a clear night :(

Archived