NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

25mm 1.25" Eyepiece upgrade

carlc

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade from the stock 25mm EPs that came with my scopes (Tal and Skywatcher).

I'm in danger of going loopy reading and re-reading threads, blogs, CN etc. So given the following limitations what do you recommend:

Price: £100 or less (so no Naglers, Panoptics, Ethos, Delos etc unless you going to PM me with a deal I can't ignore <he says hopefully but futilely>).

1.25"

Around 25mm focal length - a mm or so either way is fine.

FOV - negotiable.

From my reading:(these are not my opinions).

The BST 25mm is not a good option (not knocking BSTs I have three).

Celestron X-cel are considered to be better than Hyperions.

Green and Black is addictive.

I have come down to:

Celestron X-cel 25mm 60 degree FOV £69

TV 25mm Plossl 50 degree FOV £95

However I am open to any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use both of them and they are so close that you won't be disappointed with either.

The tv plossl gives a slightly nicer contrast and the x-cel lx is slightly wider.

I slightly prefer the tv but really both are great for the price.

If you dont like the BST, i would suggest the x-cel lx, though i have the BST and find it to be pretty good

It's not that I don't like it it's just the reviews suggest it is the weakest of the line and can be a bit 'mushy'.

As I say I have three other BSTs and like them very much.

The X-cel LX gets plenty of good reviews.

Indeed - I was just interested in the Green and Black as people do tend to rave about EPs in those colours but the X-cel does have a good write up.

If you do a little waiting, a TV Plossl will probably turn up on ABS, and as it's such a good name, you will be able to sell it on for what you bought it for if you want the X-Cel ;).

I use both of them and they are so close that you won't be disappointed with either.

The tv plossl gives a slightly nicer contrast and the x-cel lx is slightly wider.

I slightly prefer the tv but really both are great for the price.

Thanks for that - the most helpful (and yet unhelpful) comment there can be! :p

Only joking - what you are saying is basically either is a good buy - fair enough.

Jules - sorry i forgot to ask - I think you have other BSTs - does the 25mm step up to the mark set by the higher power EPs in the range?

Naemeth - I watch ABS almost compulsively and sadly only a 20mm has shown up (and gone) but I will hold off before any retail purchase just in case (at least until real dark sets in - real dark without clouds that is).

Thanks all for the comments/advice so far.

Only joking - what you are saying is basically either is a good buy - fair enough.

Jules - sorry i forgot to ask - I think you have other BSTs - does the 25mm step up to the mark set by the higher power EPs in the range?

Naemeth - I watch ABS almost compulsively and sadly only a 20mm has shown up (and gone) but I will hold off before any retail purchase just in case (at least until real dark sets in - real dark without clouds that is).

It would not be fair to comment, as i have not had much of a chance to try them out, but i have looked at the moon with my 25mm using my WO 70mm zenith star frac and it was pretty good

Explore Scientific 68 degree argon series seem to get great reviews in the US, the 24mm is on sale currently at US$119.

The risk with that is if it caught by Customs and Excise then the VAT added includes shipping costs plus paying Royal Mail £8 which then takes the cost to about £100 plus the VAT on the shipping - Optcorp gives the cheapest shipping option (USPS) at 59 USD.

So

£77 + £38 (shipping) + £23 (VAT) +£8 = £146

If it slipped through the net: £115

Nice idea but I can't risk it.

It would not be fair to comment, as i have not had much of a chance to try them out, but i have looked at the moon with my 25mm using my WO 70mm zenith star frac and it was pretty good

Fair enough - thanks for replying anyway.

I've even bookmarked a link which automatically shows you only EPs for sale:

http://www.astrobuys...rice=&maxprice=

Oh, and check this out too.

You cannot go wrong with a used TV Plossl for £45-65 depending on focal length and condition.

I shall keep my buying fever under control then - it's seems to be brought on by clouds....

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Board/Eyepieces/Number/4891373/page/54/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

Stop the presses! SmartAstronomy has the 25mm Sterling Plossl in stock and selling for $45. Folks, if you haven't looked through one of these, you don't know the word for "poor man's Pan 24". I own the Pan 24, too, btw, and it is better, but for 1/6th the price, you're getting a whole lot more than 1/6th the performance. Closer to 85%, I'd say, and that's pretty darn close for 1/6th the cost. The Pan 24 is for me and my Club members, but for the public, or if I want a more plossl-like effect, the Sterling Plossl 25mm delivers the most bang for the buck in the widest field 1.25" barrel world. Get 'em while you can. They were out of stock for a year or more. I got mine before this past drought, but when they sell out again, hang your head and cry bawling.gif but don't blame me. And, no, mine won't be for sale.

Celestron X-cel are considered to be better than Hyperions.

X-cel LX are suppose to perform better than Hyperion on fast dobs, so I won't cross the Hyperion off you list yet. I have a 24mm Hyperion and it works great on my f10 SCT and not too bad on my f6 apo. Your TAL100RS is a f10 system and your 6" dob is f8 (if it is a SW 150p dob). Neither of them are fast, and a Hyperion will works great on them.

Naemeth - thank you - for the price the Sterling's worth a shot - leaves money for a UHC filter.

E621Keith - that's useful to know - always a problem when reading reviews is that it's rare someone has exactly the same scope.

Yes you are correct f10 and f8 (effectively). I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Thanks to all for the input - it's all appreciated.

Naemeth - thank you - for the price the Sterling's worth a shot - leaves money for a UHC filter.

E621Keith - that's useful to know - always a problem when reading reviews is that it's rare someone has exactly the same scope.

Yes you are correct f10 and f8 (effectively). I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Thanks to all for the input - it's all appreciated.

The field isn't as wide as the X-Cels, but this is expected in a Plossl, I must admit that I'm rather tempted to find some of these sterlings to give them a go myself!

I picked up a 6mm circle T ortho a while ago but haven't had chance to try it out yet - the eye relief on those Lyra optic orthos is okay at 25mm focal length.

Aargh more choice!

The circle T`s have been around for about a hundred years, and for a very good reason, they are good, i want the 25mm from lyra, but i have the BST, a kk 25mm kellner and a 25mm tal plossl

Archived