Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Trick or treat?

Mike73

Yep a bit early for Halloween I know but I've actually got my scope outside cooling just like we did in the old days! :grin:

Looking at Sat24 I have an area of low pressure sat right over the top of me which shows clear skies for tonight!!!

So is this weather going to trick me once again or are we going to have a treat and actually get some observing tonight in the SW?

Any body else hoping for the best for tonight?

You must come to the conclusion that the odds are against you right now, me to was getting ready for some viewing but look like the clouds are back

If I look east towards Plymouth its thick cloud, to the west and down your way Matt its been clear for a couple hours, hope you manage to get out. :)

My scope is now out cooling. Fingers crossed.

You gotta be in it to win it Luke. :cool:

Well did anyone get any viewing last nigth? I had a look and it didn't seem to bad, but my garden is so light polluted, it has to be really good before I drag Cheryl out to take me to a darker site, and it wasn't.

Can't wait until we sell our house and get one with a garden that has at least half way decent viewing; it will be so good to have it all set up and ready and just go out and roll off the roof ..... come the day!!!!

You didn't miss much Richard.

I literally had about 15 minutes at the eyepiece before the clouds rolled in, I found M3 and just watched it for a while but it really wasn't anything special as it was still fairly light even at 11pm.

The last time I viewed M3 was from a dark site and it looked like a great clump of shiny jewels and I could resolve all the stars right to the centre. Last night was very different, even though I could still just about pick out the individual stars in the cluster they just didn't explode in the eyepiece like it did from a dark site. A meter reading of 18.9 SQM (approx 4.5 ELM) confirmed just how light it actually was.

Hope your house sells and you get your dream obsy. :)

I managed about 10 minutes looking at Saturn and then the clouds rolled in. They cleared again about 2am but left a high level haze so the viewing wasn't so good. Brought the scope in at 2.30am. I estimated the sky at 4.3 at its best using the NELM method.

On the plus side, the Lazy Susan mod works a treat (thanks for the heads up Mike) and as it was a warm night I didn't have any dew problems.

I must say that using the dob whilst sitting on a comfy chair was rather pleasing. Defininely more comfortable than using the Eq. I do miss the having the motorised tracking tho. Makes things so much easier when playing peek-a-boo with the clouds.

I must say that using the dob whilst sitting on a comfy chair was rather pleasing. Defininely more comfortable than using the Eq. I do miss the having the motorised tracking tho. Makes things so much easier when playing peek-a-boo with the clouds.

Sounds like you need another project Luke. :)

My EQ platform works really well, you can find an object then go make a cuppa tea and come back out and its still in the FoV. I bought mine but you can make them for about £100 which considering how basic it actually is I wish I did myself.

Perhaps take a good look at mine when we eventually meet up and see what you think.

http://darkskysketches.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/eq-platforms-for-dobsonians.html

I was out tinkering the workshop at around 11 to 11:30pm and saw that the clouds had parted enough to see some stars. The seeing was ridiculously unsteady though. Even stars near the zenith were twinkling madly so I didn't bother getting a scope out.

James

You didn't miss much Richard.

I literally had about 15 minutes at the eyepiece before the clouds rolled in, I found M3 and just watched it for a while but it really wasn't anything special as it was still fairly light even at 11pm.

The last time I viewed M3 was from a dark site and it looked like a great clump of shiny jewels and I could resolve all the stars right to the centre. Last night was very different, even though I could still just about pick out the individual stars in the cluster they just didn't explode in the eyepiece like it did from a dark site. A meter reading of 18.9 SQM (approx 4.5 ELM) confirmed just how light it actually was.

Hope your house sells and you get your dream obsy. :)

If I get that Mike and we would at least have somewhere down this way for a star party (all mod cond!), doubt it will be that good when we eventually find it, but it is nice to dream

Sounds like you need another project Luke. :)

My EQ platform works really well, you can find an object then go make a cuppa tea and come back out and its still in the FoV. I bought mine but you can make them for about £100 which considering how basic it actually is I wish I did myself.

Perhaps take a good look at mine when we eventually meet up and see what you think.

http://darkskysketch...dobsonians.html

That's what the Birch ply is for.

I was out tinkering the workshop at around 11 to 11:30pm and saw that the clouds had parted enough to see some stars. The seeing was ridiculously unsteady though. Even stars near the zenith were twinkling madly so I didn't bother getting a scope out.

James

It was exactly the same down here but desperation made me attempt some viewing....I should of known better!

That's what the Birch ply is for.

Well I'm back to work for two weeks now so I won't be observing at all, your more than welcome to borrow my platform to take some measurements off if you'd like?

Well I'm back to work for two weeks now so I won't be observing at all, your more than welcome to borrow my platform to take some measurements off if you'd like?

Might very well take you up on the offer. What type of platform do you have? I'm looking at making something like this:-http://www.reinervogel.net/index_e.html?/Plattform/Plattform_e.html

I already have ally,motor,gears,speed controller,fixings,shafts and bearings. Just need some ply. Hopefully locate a supplier tomorrow.

Nice looking platform. Is it one from Watch House in Cornwall? I very nearly bought one from them. The only reason I didn't was that it would take too much of my £500 Dob project budget. I'm making a 10" travel dob which will use a Baader zoom and barlow. With the donor scope costing £165 and the Baader costing £230 I'm only left with £105 for materials for the scope and the platform. Just do-able I reckon.

Yep its from Watch House. Cost a lot for what it actually is but nearly 3 months on from buying it I don't have any regrets at all, in fact I have used it every time I've had my scope out.

Like to know more about your travel dob project but hopefully catch up soon and you can tell me about it. I'II PM you my number now.

Archived