NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

sci-fi travel and the universe

spacecake

in films like alien or prometheus there is some sort of cryogenic freezing so a humans can travel to distant planets without aging taken care buy guidance systems and androids. my question is if there were no malfunctions and you could travel anywhere in the known universe, to any star/planet or even asteroid and comet where would you like to go. or are you content with the view from earth?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that most of the wonders of the Universe that we see from Earth, may only be actually visible from some distance away. Take the Orion nebula, I wonder if it would look so good from actually within it? Probably not, your view might be obstructed by the nebulosity itself, or, indeed, would you even be able to see it from that close? You never know, you might go all the way out to some 'wonder' only to look back and see that the Earth itself is in fact a part of another 'wonder' that we cannot see because we are actually in it. It is like when you get the visualisation of the Milky Way and Andromeda coming together in the far future - I wonder if you would even be able to see it from out standpoint.

thats in a galaxy far far away but o.k. :p i'd like to go somewhere near to orion nebula or close enough to see betelgeuse go supernova and not go blind or die lol, but i dont know enough of the galaxy or universe to say many other places that would be cool to go, andromeda may have some beautiful planets to explore.

I think that most of the wonders of the Universe that we see from Earth, may only be actually visible from some distance away. Take the Orion nebula, I wonder if it would look so good from actually within it? Probably not, your view might be obstructed by the nebulosity itself, or, indeed, would you even be able to see it from that close? You never know, you might go all the way out to some 'wonder' only to look back and see that the Earth itself is in fact a part of another 'wonder' that we cannot see because we are actually in it. It is like when you get the visualisation of the Milky Way and Andromeda coming together in the far future - I wonder if you would even be able to see it from out standpoint.

thats a good point actually but the images we see from telescopes are magnified so if we got as close as that and not actually into the centre maybe that would look really cool, because you'd see the same image through the naked eye

thats a good point actually but the images we see from telescopes are magnified so if we got as close as that and not actually into the centre maybe that would look really cool, because you'd see the same image through the naked eye

Yes that would be good especially if you could see it as well as Hubble can.

I can't imagine there could be a place as beautiful as Earth. I'd rather stay here and view the universe from home. When I think of the first astronauts who will go to Mars, I feel sorry for them. I can't imagine spending a significant portion of my life that way--encased in metal, breathing only artificial air, unable to really be a joyful part of the environment around you. Those guys are going to be more depressed than the British in a rainy summer. When you think about it, our planet, and our relationship to it, is pretty miraculous.

Wouldn't mind seeing our milky way from the Andromeda Galaxy just for a change ;)

That's true - come to think of it we are only guessing as to the shape of the Milky Way. Strange isn't it, we live the Milky Way yet cannot see enough of it to be sure of its shape.

I can't imagine there could be a place as beautiful as Earth. I'd rather stay here and view the universe from home. When I think of the first astronauts who will go to Mars, I feel sorry for them. I can't imagine spending a significant portion of my life that way--encased in metal, breathing only artificial air, unable to really be a joyful part of the environment around you. Those guys are going to be more depressed than the British in a rainy summer. When you think about it, our planet, and our relationship to it, is pretty miraculous.

You have a point there Will

but if we were frozen, you haven't aged and you slept the whole way to your destination eventually waking up, lets even say the machine you sleep in exercises your muscles in stasis so when you wake up you can walk etc. remember this is all hypothetical!

in the billions of galaxies and billions of stars/planets and rocks in those galaxies you dont believe there is somewhere more beautiful than earth? as much as i respect that i cant comprehend it as a valid reason to stay, our world is beautiful (bar the violence and corruption/man made elements that are negative) but it cant be the only one

our relationship to our planet is amazing but its the only planet we (humans) have been to so there is no comparison, we are the right distance from our sun to create life, surely there are others in the same predicament possibly with dinosaurs or something completely different to our planets evolution. think of it as homes where the heart is and your taking a holiday. i love my home (sometimes i dont) its where my heart is and it made me who i am physically, mentally, biologically,this doesn't mean i dont think the north side of hawaii isnt beautiful or the geysers and lava fields on iceland arent amazing or the grand canyon isnt incredible. i love to travel and it like what they say "absence makes the heart grow fonder" :)

i guess im just saying that its mind boggling that you wouldn't want to go any where else in my eyes it would be the same as staying in a small village in utah or dorset (or flintshire for me) and never going anywhere else.

not meant in a bad way just my thoughts on the matter hope i didnt offend you!

:laugh: I wouldn't mind going out 90 degrees to the plain of the milky way to see what our galaxy really looked like, or to the nearest intelligent civilisation to ours ( providing we're classing ourselves as Intelligent ) see what they have done to their world

It is like when you get the visualisation of the Milky Way and Andromeda coming together in the far future - I wonder if you would even be able to see it from out standpoint.

Apparently we wouldn't be able to see Andromeda anymore than we can see the Milkyway when it gets close. So unless you have dark skies enough to see the Milkyway you aren't going to be able to see Andromeda either.

But I've always thought it would be facinating to see other earth like worlds where life is rife. Especially worlds where life has become 'intelligent' for 1000's (if not millions) of years ahead of us.

Archived