Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Collimation woes

I have been trying (and failing) to get my TAL150P collimated correctly - or so I think anyway.

This was where I started:

post-13336-0-69062200-1339698478_thumb.j

And I got it to this:

post-13336-0-10709800-1339833560_thumb.j

I then realised there was a smudge on the primary mirror (should have looked first), so out it came for a clean and now I can't get anywhere near the collimation I want!

It is currently sat at this:

post-13336-0-57329400-1341348209_thumb.j

I must be missing something ... so here's hoping that some other TAL1 / TAL2 / TAL150 owners can shed any light on some handy neat tricks - or anyone come to that ... I've got till the 15th to get it all sorted ... something about Jupiter and the moon ;)

Cheers, Jeff

It does not look too bad to me..Is the secondry mirror centralised in the tube at the eyepiece end.....

As they will tell you on here go for Astro babies collimation tutorial...

Stage one get the secondry central in the tube and directly below the focuser and showing the main mirror central...THEN move to the secondry and get all the circles lining up..

Have you tried making an artificial star from an LED shining through a pin hole. This lets you work in the dry and take your time to get it all spot on...

Mark

Read Astro babys guide to collimation, I used this when I first collimated my 300pds. The important thing is don't panic :eek: or lose heart :BangHead: you can do it.

I did however at one point confuse the spider vanes with the cross hair on the collimator :icon_redface: but once noticed it was then a doddle.

Ok, the secondary was out by about 1mm, enough to make it look like 2 inches through the focuser :)

Once that was right, it was about another 30 minutes of fiddling ... with the mirror adjustments ... tsk ... to get it to this point:

post-13336-0-19995700-1341428361_thumb.j

I think that is job done.

Cheers, Jeff

It still looks a bit odd to me as all the circles should be lined up but the cross is in the centre of the smallest circle so its pretty good in my humble amateur opinion ....only collimated about three scopes about ten times...!

Mark

Archived