SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

So I came home from work . . .

andyc277

Ah, so i dont need to be able to swing it level so long as i can set it to my latitude. Thanks guys.

I had first light last night and i am slowly getting used to the control of it and the rotating and rolling of the tube to get a view of what i want. The only way i could get a good view at certain angles meant i had to rotate the tube within its cradle, not the mount purely tube rotating, unless i wanted to lie on the floor as the eyepiece would have been pointing straight down.

Ill put a first light report up later, work beckons, a little under 5 hrs sleep means it could be a long day!!!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right then to the first light:

Scope, check.

Tripod and Mount, Check

Warm evening, check,

Fluffing Cloud check.

It wasnt the best night imaginable but i decided it had to be done. I opted for the moon (even i can spot that in the sky). I sorted the finder scope and then did the best i could to blind myself having tweaked twisted and aligned onto the moon. I had everything i needed, minus moon filter, had to creep back in and get that without waking the better half.

HOLY $%£". What an amazing view, incredible detail of the craters. I used the 10mm EP and then added the 2x Barlow. By this time it was midnight and I had somehow avoided too much cloud. I havent done a polar align as i was pointing south with Polaris obscured by my house. I had to give in for the night at that point, 05.30 alarm!!!

Fingers crossed for a clear night this weekend (just kinxed that then).

Oh and it wasnt solely by wife that bought the scope, PArents and In laws were all in together.

I was looking at the moon last night as well with my 8" dob, good lord! Don't plan on looking at any faint fuzzies for the rest of the night lol. I assume the moon filter is just a darkening filter? Sunglasses are a great idea!

The moon filter i have is just that, darkens the image so that its a bit less like staring at a light bulb. It gives the image a green tint but that isnt noticable after a short while.

A bit late with the congratulations but I have been in Hospital for 24 hours and missed some of the action, a very nice set-up, but the first thing you should do is change those bendy bolts for some decent stainless ones, enjoy :)

John.

Glowjet

Sorry to hear youve been hospitalised. Which bendy bolts, the ones that secure the latitide?

Yes, for some reason they chose to make them from butter :)

Now Im massively confused.

I think ive got the hang of how to polar align the tripod and scope.

So ill have a scope pointed at Polaris, I can use the RA and Dec controls to get to objects in the general vicinity.

So how do i get to something in the South without moving the RA and Dec and thus ceasing to have a polar aligned scope.

Help Please.

Archived