NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help with Vivitar refractor

Hello all,

I'm asking a bit of avice here, on a friends behalf ......... Before the initial thought, I know ..... I did suggest a pair of binnos would be better. Anyhow she's bought a second hand Vivitar 90060 Refractor.

I've done some searching (mainly on here), yes the eyepeice is a small "0.965 The eyepeices & diagional are (to put it very nicely) good for nothing ! To be fair, it was bought at a car boot for £8 ! And everything was in the box.

Now question is, if she get a 0.965 to 1.25 adaptor, & some normal 1.25 eyepeices - I assume this will help the seeing ??

Also can this adaptor, be put on the focusing tube, so she can use a 1.25 diagional ?

Thank you for any advice I can pass on ?? (selling it & buying something else, is not an option)

Can't answer regarding putting a new 1.25" diagonal into a 0.965" adaptor Viv, but if it isn't possible and cost is an issue you may find a new 0.965" diagonal on astroboot for not very much. They seem to have a few bits and pieces in the smaller size.

James

Viv I used to own a 4.5" newt with 0.965 focuser and the views were awful with the standard eyepieces. I just recently bought another 4.5" newt to act as a finder for my big Dob when finished. This new one uses 1.25" eyepieces I popped my 16mm Nagler in and was pleasantly surprised. Even just holding it under my arm I was getting better views than the old one on a tripod.

Good eyepieces can really help these scopes perform much better.

You should be able to use a 1.25" diagonal, I did on my old scope and the better EPs helped a lot. Don't expect much though with a 60mm cheap refractor though, but at least the EPs will still be of use when the scope is upgraded.

If you search a little there are reasonably priced diagonals that fit into a 0.965" tube but have an eyepiece socket that takes 1.25" eyepieces - in other words it is an adaptor and diagonal in one item. Hope this helps.

Jim.

Thank you all - that is brilliant !!

I've seen the 0.956 connector on Scope N Skies - so think i'll suggest she gets that, then at least we can try my 1.25 diagional & lenses, see how much it improves the visual.

Then go from there.

If you're planning on using an adapter then a 1.25" diagonal, as opposed to a hybrid diagonal, don't forget about in-focus, since the adapter will add a nosepiece-length to the light path.

Yes if the adapter lengthens the light path you may not be able to achieve focus..

At the moment if you achieve focus for infinity by taking the eyepiece well out using the focuser you may be alright...

Mark

Thank you both - must admit I hadn't even though of that - could be a problem ........

But when we had it all set up last night, you really couldn't see focus at all. It could end up being a get the adaptor & see how it goes.

Archived