Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Aeroplane sillhouette against the solar disc

Moonshane

I was observing the sun today (6" f11 dob, Baader white light filer,32mm plossl (50x) and Baader solar continuum filter) and enjoying the excellent activity (the thread has a super image representing closely the detail I saw) when all of a sudden a 'plane shot across the disc! It was really bizarre sight and truly spectacular! OK I missed the Venus transit but this was more impressive, albeit not as rare an event. the wings spanned the whole disc.

this happened to me once with the pst... it's really, really odd. it didn't span the whole disc, but i got a little plane shape, upside down of course, and some little tufts of "smoke" chug out of the back like a kid's drawing of smoke from a steam train chimney. made me jump. it was only the second time i'd used the scope and it hasn't happened again since.

Similar thing happened to me the other day as well.

Was observing with the PST in between cloud breaks when a pigeon landed on my neighbours aerial, all of a sudden its head appeared right in the centre of the suns disk, I could not tell what it was initially but figured it out when it started nodding :grin:

Similar thing happened to me the other day as well.

Was observing with the PST in between cloud breaks when a pigeon landed on my neighbours aerial, all of a sudden its head appeared right in the centre of the suns disk, I could not tell what it was initially but figured it out when it started nodding :grin:

brilliant!

Archived