Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Sun 24 June 2012 white light

Bizibilder

Having waited all day for the usual tiny gap in the clouds - here is today's almost featureless Sun. 'Twas a bit awkward to process - I had to use "centre of gravity" in Registax to align and the wavelets were more guesswork than anything else!

24June2012JPEG.jpg

24June2012AnnotatedJPEG.jpg

24June2012LongLat.jpg

Bet it was fun trying to focus today ,

Quite nice to see a blank one for some strange reason , guess it builds some kind of anticipation as regards what's around the corner .

Still waiting for a decent clear patch here , looking good for next 2 nights , and the wind's dropped off nicely .

Steve.

I am really glad you posted this Roger. I had my first try at solar imaging following your excellent 'Simple white light Solar imaging' tutorial (this really should be pinned by the way!) and was somewhat disappointed that there was no real detail showing on the sun and did wonder what an expert would make of the sun in that state. Now I have the answer to my question.

Cheers,

Chris

I'm glad the tutorial was useful (please post any errors or omissions and I will fix/update it!). Don't forget - an image of a "blank" Sun is just as important/useful as one of a really "spotty" one when it comes to giving an overall description of Solar activity.

I'm glad the tutorial was useful (please post any errors or omissions and I will fix/update it!). Don't forget - an image of a "blank" Sun is just as important/useful as one of a really "spotty" one when it comes to giving an overall description of Solar activity.

On the subject of errors. Should:

Image > Adjustments > Photofilter Set the colour to R=220, B=170, G=30 and move the density slider to 50%

have actually been ?:

R=220, G=170, B=30

Also, not an error but on the line:

Image > Adjustments > Curves fix the centre of the line (click on it but don’t move it) then click “half way” to the bottom and set that point at 64/55. Click half way to the top and set that point to 187/197.

It might be worth explaining that 64/55 means 64 is the input and 55 is the output and the same for 187/197.

And thanks again for the tutorial, I had really enjoyed my first attempt at solar imaging, even if it was not spotty!

Cheers,

Chris

You're quite right about the RGB values :embarrassed: - I'll edit them!

I will also add a line about input/output - its so easy to miss those simple but essential bits of information needed by someone following your notes.

Thanks for the comments - if you spot any more let me know.

Archived