NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Legnth of pier

Singlin

I am currently using my 200p on a heq 6 tripod .

The height that I find comfortable is with the tripod legs retracted.

I am going to start welding up a steel pier, Should I make the pier the same height?

Will the same height work with a refractor?

Regards,

Simon

That's how I figured my pier height, although I ended up making it higher so that I could view to the horizon through the opening in the observatory dome. I've not tried my refractor on the mount yet, but I'm sure the only issue would be the position of the EP and the requisite stooping to use it.

I found my pier height was insufficient and added an NEQ6 entension on the top. Slightly less rigid but perfectly adequate - I have never sufferred from any vibration or unwanted mount movement.

post-21198-0-71198200-1340465196_thumb.jpost-21198-0-79014700-1340465240_thumb.jHi Simon

I had the same problem and ended up making a telescopic pier, not to hard if you'r into welding.

Four lenghths of 3" steel angle iron buried 2 foot in concrete and 8" steel tube lifted with car scissors jack.

Davey-T

Archived