NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How will the sun look through a filter?

Ok, this is stupid question time!

My son spent the evening very patiently making me a solar filter with the sheet I bought from FLO.

It looks brilliant and fits the telescope perfectly. So far so good!

I'm going to venture out into the garden with the solar filter contraption and my telescope tomorrow and wonder if any of you could tell me what sort of detail I can expect to see and which eyepiece magnification is the best to use.

I have a Skywatcher 200P and several eyepieces.

I appreciate any help.

Sorry to be the health and safety bore, but please double check everything before you look through eyepiece. The filter is at the objective end, there are absolutely no scratches or pin pricks, there's no way it could fall/blow off the scope etc.

I've never used a solar filter myself, so I'll leave it someone less boring to tell you what to expect!

Hi Sally. You should check out the Solar Observing/Imaging section of the website. It will show you what to expect with a "white light" filter such as the one you have. You will see sunspots. I'm not sure what magnificcation you would need to be using but i think a 10-15mm EP should do.,

http://stargazerslounge.com/forum/30-observing-lunarsolar/

i actually am not convinced it use a solar filter either... i did ask a week or so ago about them but in hind sight if anything at all goes wrong ill never see again... I'm really sorry that i can't advise any further - just please be careful !!!!!

With a regular filter you won't see much details, the only thing i can see with the filter on my astronomy clubs WO Megrez 80II with a filter is sun spots.

Here's a pic with the max amount of detail you can get thru regular filters:

mylar-pedrore.jpg

On your telescope i'd say 25-33mm a eyepiece would give good details and clear picture.

Having said that, many, many people observe the sun, and with care, its really quite safe.

Remember to cover up your finder scope, as it can burn you or if you accidentally catch a glance through it, worse.

But use the scope shadow to line up, make sure the filter is sound and secure, and all should be fine.

i actually am not convinced it use a solar filter either... i did ask a week or so ago about them but in hind sight if anything at all goes wrong ill never see again... I'm really sorry that i can't advise any further - just please be careful !!!!!

The Baader solar film is perfectly safe to use. You just have to make sure there are no holes,tears,rips in it. You also need to make sure that it fits the front of your scope very very snuggly, so that there is no chance of it falling off or blowing off.

The filter itself once installed on the front end of the scope blocks 99.999% of the light,heat and UV rays that the Sun givesa off.

Its pretty amazing to observe our nearest star so closely (with the filter).

Xplode's is a useful post but with a high power EP you can close in on particular sunspot groups as seen in those images and resolve astounding detail. As ever, push the magnification till it is too much and then back off.

Olly

As my mother-in-law described it when I proudly showed her "Hmmmm, looks like a big white ball. And you have some grubby marks on something in the telescope.c

And then my neice "has it got beatles on it?"

Those were the sunspots!!!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

The sun made an appearance and the filter worked a treat. It is now safely stored away ready for the next time the sun comes out. It could be stored away for a very long time!

Thanks for all your help folks as every bit of advice is appreciated. :p

I was keeping mine on the end of the telescope until I read the comment that Jabberwocky wrote on my post. I now have it in a polystyrene box wedged into a polystyrene surround so that it is a snug fit and it doesn't let the film touch anything.

Im really pleased that we made the filter and I will never cease to be amazed every time I use my telescope.

The white light view of the sun is perfect for viewing sun spots, check out http://www.spaceweather.com/ for current activity, I use the Baader Astrozap 114mm filter with my C100ED and it is great. I also have a couple of Lumicon colour filters (orange, green, blue) should I fancy a change from white light. Perfectly safe as long as you always check it before every session just to make sure. Adds a new dimension to your astronomy. I use the PanaView 32mm and my 13mm LVW to view the sun - gets the whole disk in etc.

Archived