Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CCTV camera

Hawkeye

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question as to if anyone has tried using a CCTV camera for imaging through a telescope before..

Most of them seem to have a 1/3 Sony or Sharp CCD camera installed (which must be better than a CMOS type chip)

The only problem I can see at present is getting the Output from the camera to the PC / Laptop...

Cheers

Paul

Hi, I have a Mintron cctv with a 1/2 sensor ( http://www.astrophoto.co.uk/mintron.htm) which I have used for wide sky video work and have been happy with the results. This year I will go and use it with my 'scopes. The camera came with the harware and software to view on a pc or tv. I have however come across an alladins cave of cameras (really the choice is massive)-

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/index.php?cat=c16_Astro-Imaging----Cameras----CCD.html&sort=&XTCsid=sq71598agbb5r0abki3pqvtfhuuugs66&filter_id=47

You might want to look around over price as one camera I particualrly liked was over £100 cheaper at FLO so do your homework.

The Mintron uses C-type lenses although you can get adapters to fit M!2 board type lenses.

Cheers,

Steve

Does it have manual control of gain,exposure, shutter?

I've seen some cctv cameras with Sony exview sensors for very reasonable prices but I have wondered how controllable they are and how you control them with only a composite connection to the computer?

I used to use the Mintron 12V6 as a very sensitive guide camera until I sold that setup. Now I sometimes use the Samsung SDC-435 colour integrating camera (much cheaper than the Mintron) which works wonderfully with a 120mm c-mount lens and I even fitted a little 1.25" LP filter inside. I use a cheap video to USB convertor to view the live feed on my laptop. The kids love it as they can see stuff instantly. I just mount it on the SLT mount, click on CDC on the laptop what I want to see and in a few seconds it's appearing on the screen.

A decade ago I successfully use a B&W B&Q CCTV cam on moon and planets. Today beginners use Samsung 'box' CCTV cam but there's another newcomer with sense-up too in LNtech-320-11673 @ ~£40 PP from China. Mallincam is tops for astro-video and priced to match :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

I have a CV-M50 .5" CCD, will be using it attached to a 9x50 finderscope, photo in my link, needs 12v supply and has BNC connections. I used it the other day and it blanked out, I made a cover for the finderscope and found I had to keep lowering the size of the hole until it was almost a pinhole and then it worked well, it's sensitivity to light might bode well.

Jim

I have a CV-M50 .5" CCD, will be using it attached to a 9x50 finderscope, photo in my link, needs 12v supply and has BNC connections. I used it the other day and it blanked out, I made a cover for the finderscope and found I had to keep lowering the size of the hole until it was almost a pinhole and then it worked well, it's sensitivity to light might bode well.

Jim

Jim, is that connected directly to the finderscope or do you have a lense on the front of the camera?

Looks very smart too :)

Cheers

Paul

Archived