Skywatcher AZ4 or Vixen Portamount

Etoille

For a grab-n-go setup, which one would you go for? A Skywatcher AZ4 or Vixen Portamount?

They seem very similar but the Skywatcher is some £60 cheaper brand new but at 8.1kg takes slightly less weight than the Vixen which is rated to take 20lbs (9kg). And what if a used, nearly new Portamount came up for £180? Would it be a no brainer in favour of Vixen?

Depends on the scope being used and whether the AZ-4 has the steel legs. For a short tube scope the Porta would be more portable. The AZ-4 with steel tubed legs is more stable though.

I've owned a Porta I and found an F/9 refractor that weighed around 10lbs was too much for it. I don't think I'd put a 20lbs OTA on one, unless the Porta II is much sturdier than it's predecessor. I have used an F/6 mak-newtonian which weighed 20lbs on my AZ-4 though (steel legs) and it was reasonably usable.

I was looking at getting the vixen mini porta, but read some "so so" reviews so i opted for the AZ4, this has a great following, i will be using it for my 3 refractors, but i have read it will handle my skymax 180, though i dont see it

This is kind of what I suspected from the comments that I've seen.

I'm not sure what scope will be being used as I haven't decided which one to go for yet. I haven't ruled out a Mak yet either although I think it unlikely as they take a long time to cool down.

Can you get slo-mo controls for the AZ4?

Unfortunately not, but with a well balanced scope and careful adjustment of the clutches it can be very smooth. It all depends on your scope choice really - too much mag / too long an OTA will make things more challenging, albeit not impossible.

My Tal 100RS is great on the AZ4 - a combination which is a great grab and go package and well priced for the quality.

No, you will need the AZ3 for that. I would have a good think before you splash out on an AZ4. What sort of weight do you need to carry and what type of scope will you be using ? I found the AZ4 great with 130mm F5 and 150mm F8 newts for wide field low magnification observing. If you push the magnification up for planetary viewing its performance is not so good. Even when set up correctly it still suffered from 'stiction' and was not fun to use. Additionally the mount with steel legs is no lightweight. I have been looking for a good grab and go set up for ages and gone through lots of kit. I am currently trying a 102mm Mak for which I am looking for an old Astro Engineering Mini Alt-Az head. These were very well made, had slow-mo controls and would handle about 4kgs. Stupidly I sold the 2 I had (used as binocular mounts) but one of these on a sturdy photographic tripod with the Mak would be my idea grab and go.

Paul

I must admit i have used both and my conclusion has not changed - to some extent weight is not so much the issue it's more about tube length. I was not happy with either with a 4" F9 refractor but both were well matched with a 4" F7.

andrew

No, you will need the AZ3 for that. I would have a good think before you splash out on an AZ4. What sort of weight do you need to carry and what type of scope will you be using ? I found the AZ4 great with 130mm F5 and 150mm F8 newts for wide field low magnification observing. If you push the magnification up for planetary viewing its performance is not so good. Even when set up correctly it still suffered from 'stiction' and was not fun to use. Additionally the mount with steel legs is no lightweight. I have been looking for a good grab and go set up for ages and gone through lots of kit. I am currently trying a 102mm Mak for which I am looking for an old Astro Engineering Mini Alt-Az head. These were very well made, had slow-mo controls and would handle about 4kgs. Stupidly I sold the 2 I had (used as binocular mounts) but one of these on a sturdy photographic tripod with the Mak would be my idea grab and go.

Paul

Sorry to hijack this but have you considered one of these Paul (I think I saw another somewhere where you mentioned this but can't find it)

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p725_Geared-AZ-head-with-fine-controls---for-photo-tripods-with-3-8--.html

I've been looking at one of these for my Mak 102 on a photo tripod for plane trips.

May be of interest for the OP too but I wouldn't put anything too long on it

So basically, for grab a short tube refractor is easier to manage....

Yep - here is my F/6.5 Vixen ED102SS on the AZ-4 ready for some white light solar viewing. A pretty portable combination and very smooth and steady even at 200x:

post-118-0-33709800-1340108350_thumb.jpg

So basically, for grab a short tube refractor is easier to manage.

The mini giro mount looks interesting. Hadn't considered that one.

Or a small Maksutov, it depends on what your viewing preferences are.

I have just got a Skywatcher 102mm (F1300mm) Mak and having been used to large (long) refractors and 6" newts I am amazed how small and light it is.

Optically on Saturn last night I would say it was a match for the 120 Evostar I had. It is only 2.3KG with a finder and diagonal and 14" long.

Paul

Sorry to hijack this but have you considered one of these Paul (I think I saw another somewhere where you mentioned this but can't find it)

http://www.teleskop-...with-3-8--.html

I've been looking at one of these for my Mak 102 on a photo tripod for plane trips.

May be of interest for the OP too but I wouldn't put anything too long on it

Thanks for that, it is very similar to the old Astro Engineering item. The big difference is the Astro Engineering ones were £20.00 on Astroboot !

Yep - here is my F/6.5 Vixen ED102SS on the AZ-4 ready for some white light solar viewing. A pretty portable combination and very smooth and steady even at 200x:

Maybe the problems I had with AZ4 were through using lightweight newtonians ? The heavier weight of the Vixen (but not too long a tube) may make the mount smoother in operation and dampen down any vibration.

As with a lot of things, you won't know unless you try it.

Paul

I have a Vixen Porta II, which I'm pretty fond of. Very easy to carry. I have a small refractor on it (megrez 72) it handles it fine. I would not put a tal 100 on it, but I'm not quite sure where the limit is. I rarely use more than 100x magnification (need a shorter eyepiece), but it handles quite well up to that. The tripod is definitely the weak part of the porta. The aluminum legs doesn't quite have the weight and dimensions to be really stable, but it is all a tradeoff and I'm happy with it.

I also have a Giro Mini, but I found it rather difficult and annoying to track with above 50x magnification, and after 70-80x it gets pretty frustrating. For wide area sweaps it is amazin though. It has not seen much use after I got my Vixen Porta.

I have not owned or even tried an AZ4. I'm sure it will handle bigger scopes better than the Porta, but it also weighs more. It really depends on what scope you put on the mount. You could also try and set a weigh limit and go backwards from there.

Archived