Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece confirmation, and other goodies :)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Andy, that's a good wishlist you have there, pretty much the route I would have gone had I been wiser at the time haha! But take it easy, there is no rush, get some viewing time in, that's a great scope you have there, well done.

generally my recommended list for dob owners would be as follows (based on my own experiences and in order of preference/recommendation):

Immediate

1. Collimation tool - I prefer a Cheshire
  2. Converted red torch
  3. Telrad or other RDF
  4. Decent star map - I use Sky and Telescope Pocket Atlas.
  5. Observing seat - with a small dob like the 8" SW you can use a standard chair

ASAP

1. RACI finder - I prefer 9x50 but 6x30 OK too.
  2. 2x Barlow lens or more eyepieces

In due course when you have a bit more experience

1. If getting more eyepieces then get a barlow anyway (cheap used one) to allow you to establish what eyepiece focal length you'll use most
  2. Filters - I'd recommend a Baader Neodymium (moon, Jupiter, Mars) and a UHC. The Castell ones are good value.
  3. Further down the line an Oiii filter would be good too.

You are building up a very nice set up there, Spec-Chum - all you (and everyone else) needs now are the clear skies to use it! I wuld second Moonshane on the need for a collimation tool and a red torch, if you haven't already got them, as you will use both on a regular basis.

Castell UHC Deepsky Filter ordered - I was fascinated by seeing my first DSO last night, the Ring Nebula. I stared at it for ages, really looking forward to more DSOs!

We're working through the list a bit quick, but ah well, got a bonus at work!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a couple of things to add to my ever growing list...

I've now got a Rocket Blower and some Baader Wonder Fluid and Cloth. I really think these should be on any beginners list from the beginning, I was amazed how dusty my Barlow got after only 1 use (didn't need cleaning, just blowing but that did prompt me to order a blower and cleaning fluid) :)

Just a couple of things to add to my ever growing list...

I've now got a Rocket Blower and some Baader Wonder Fluid and Cloth. I really think these should be on any beginners list from the beginning, I was amazed how dusty my Barlow got after only 1 use (didn't need cleaning, just blowing but that did prompt me to order a blower and cleaning fluid) :)

The have found the hardest part of the whole Stargazing thing is finding the objects, especially finding the fainter objects with my moderate-high light pollution. I bought a Telrad very early on and would recommend buying one.

OK, I'm getting a Telrad. Tried to find the dumbell nebula last night so pointed the finder where TLAO said it should be and... saw about 1000000 stars, all nothing like the book lol

Or maybe it's just me being naff at finding things lol

Yep so do i well so i thought,thinking i would learn where things are quicker making it easier for me to eventually locate what i want,but at this moment in time i do find it difficult,as on my first night with the Dob!!

I was thinking i was looking at Saturn and Spica but it turned out i wasn't,and was getting frustrated at the time thinking i would be able to see Saturns rings and i couldn't,i think you done the same thing??

Still its all a very steep learning curve that will all come together one day,in the distant future :shocked::grin:

use your lowest power for the dumbbell. if you have the nebula in the field of your scope and it's reasonably dark / late then you'll have no doubts. it's a bright (for a nebula) ball of fuzz. it's the same distance again down from Albireo as it is up to the bottom star of Lyra

Archived