Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSLR astrophotography mount

tnorthy92

Finally convinced the Dad to get 'himself' a new mount to do some astrophotography. He wants to mostly do widefield constellation shots. (got 15-55mm lens and 75-300mm lens).

I was thinking of telling him to get a EQ5 Pro (he's got a budget of 750, from his work for many years slavery :p ) That way he can get the mount, and maybe get a steel tripod too.

I also want him to get it over a Astrotrac so I can use my telescope on it too

Any alternatives. Cheers guys

Since you want to put a scope on it, a HEQ5 will be a good choice.

If you have a budget of £700 and you wanted something lighter than a HEQ5 and that will handle a DSLR and a small scope, consider the Vixen GP2 auto tracking package from FLO http://www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen-mounts/vixen-gp2-auto-tracking-package.html

The Vixen controller is ST4 compatible.

Celestron CG5 GT comes with a stronger tripod than a EQ5 for only £10 more http://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-mounts/celestron-cg-5-gt-goto.html

Ok, Dad has decided to get HEQ5 Pro :cool: . Now I need a mount for at university, would an EQ3 Pro with 400mm FL ZS70 be ok for 1min unguided shots?

Is there a reason why you want an EQ3-2 rather than an EQ5? An EQ5 will be a more capable mount.

Portability. I would need to lug whole setup (camera telescope and mount) from uni house to physics building on campus. About a mile away. And back again. I don't know how much the eq5 weighs. I'm guessing the eq3 isn't much more than eq1 which I easily handle at the moment.

The EQ5 (16.5kg) is a bit heavier than EQ3-2, but certainly not a problem for a university student. I used to carry my EQ4 (alu tripod eq5) and a 120f8.3 achromat on public transport and walked several miles with them in my backpack during observation trips.

EQ3-2 (12.5kg) is much heavier than EQ1 (5.3kg).

These figures are the fully assemble weight quoted by Orion US (should include counter weight weight and tripod weight). Converted to metric.

Rather than buying it yourself, run for your university's Astrosoc committee and then write a good proposal to get the university buy one :grin:.

Actually, if I haven't mention this already, you should join your university's astronomical society (if they have one). You may be able to get access to some good equipments without having to pay anything more than the membership.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a look at the Astrotrac website and it looks good, if a little expensive!! A lot there about what it does but little about the principles behind it, ie how does it actually work? Any links that can give me the answer would be appreciated.

Archived