NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC7000 North-America & IC5070 Pelican nebulae

appyaardvark

Thin cloud and a rising Moon prevented more data being captured for this attempt

7373313676_80f2f06811_z.jpg

NGC7000 North America & IC5070 Pelican nebulae by appyaardvark, on Flickr

NGC7000 North-America & IC5070 Pelican nebulae

9th June, 2012. Wiltshire.

175mins total exposure (35 x 5mins)

Camera: Full spectrum modified Canon 450D & Astronomik CLS filter

Lens: Canon 200mm L F2.8 II USM @F4, ISO400

Mount: Losmandy G11 w/Ovision worm, Gemini controlled

Guidescope: Skywatcher ST80

Guide camera: QHY5 mono

Cartes du Ciel, PHD guiding, ImagesPlus, PS CS3

I like it, this is one I would like to try with my 70-300mm APO lens on a modded 450d and cls clip. the focus looks spot on and the quantity of stars in that image is impressive. I will be using this image as a benchmark for my own attempts :)

You would find that the nebulosity in image was a lot dimmer due to the stock canon filter cutting approx 75% of the important Ha line out. filters designed to reduce light pollution etc would help increase contrast but the overall signal level would still be severely hampered by the stock filter directly over the chip in the camera. The best thing I did with my imaging setup was spend £40 on a new Baader filter and self-mod my camera :), still works perfectly for daytime normal use too with the custom white balance setting.

Hi Aard,

That is a particularly nice DSLR image. There's good control of the colours and the stars are almost like a grey haze there are that many.

I went on your Flickr site and notice you have another one. The bright stars on this image seem to have diffraction spikes but the other image doesn't. You didn't say you used the CLS filter on the other image. Off the top of my head I can't think why they are there.

Have you tried combining the two sets ?

Dave.

Hi Aard,

That is a particularly nice DSLR image. There's good control of the colours and the stars are almost like a grey haze there are that many.

I went on your Flickr site and notice you have another one. The bright stars on this image seem to have diffraction spikes but the other image doesn't. You didn't say you used the CLS filter on the other image. Off the top of my head I can't think why they are there.

Have you tried combining the two sets ?

Dave.

Thanks Dave. Both images were taken with the CLS filter. The main difference is the length of the subs, the previous image was taken using my CG5 mount and I was restricted to 2 minute subs for a total of 28 mins and a lot of image stretching in PS2. The latest image was taken on the G11 and 5 minute subs were used. I'm not sure why I have diffraction spikes either. You will also notice that the spikes are longer in the horizontal plane than the vertical...I have no idea why.

I've not considered combining the 2 images, until you mentioned it :p

Cheers,

Paul

Archived