NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best lense for astro photography ?

leemanley

Hello all, just a quickie, does anyone have personal recommendations as to the best sized lense they use for A P.

I have a canon 550d with a stock 18-55mm lense.

New to DSLR use so still finding my way around things !

Have had minor success so far but know the camera should be capable of much more.

Any help always apprecialted.

One to avoid is the Sigma 70-300 APO zoom , great optics , great price , but such a smooth silky zoom action that it creeps dramatically when pointed above about 40 degrees ,

Tried every one that WEX had in stock when i returned mine and all were identical .

Shame because much better optically than the Canon 75-300 i replaced it with (Canon still good for the price though)

One to avoid is the Sigma 70-300 APO zoom , great optics , great price , but such a smooth silky zoom action that it creeps dramatically when pointed above about 40 degrees ,

Tried every one that WEX had in stock when i returned mine and all were identical .

Shame because much better optically than the Canon 75-300 i replaced it with (Canon still good for the price though)

I did cure this on one of my Sigma Lens, placed a elastic band between the manual focus ring and the body of the lens enough grip to stop the creep...

Hi. What sort of budget were you thinking? My vote would be with the Canon 100-400mm f5.6 L, but this sort of quality comes at a price. However, both Sigma and Tamron produce similar lenses at a slightly lower cost. It also depends on what you’re going to photograph. The nice thing about a 400mm lens is that it gives a similar magnification to a pair of binoculars (somewhere around the 8x mark), so you can plan your images nicely with a pair of bins. The 100 – 400mm focal length is a nice range, allowing for relative wide-field shots right up to some of the larger globular clusters such as m13 (though some cropping will be needed).

Just out of interest - are there any DSOs that can be imaged (with stacking) with a 50mm prime lens? Are there any that spread over such a wide area that they would 'visible' with a 50mm lens ...? I seem to recall that there are some DSOs which have such a wide field-of-view & are spread over such a large area that they can't fit into a 200mm lens. Is this true? If do - does anyone have any example images they can share please?

Cygnus will provide you with a whole range of different imaging opportunites from 50mm up.... the canon 50mm f1.8 EF II nifty fifty is a good performer.. Older lenses (normally in M42 fit) sucha s the Pentax Super Takumars - although prices are now a lot higher than they were a few years ago.. Leica Telyt's are superb....

I must admit I ended up with a couple of Canon L's including the 200/2.8L , 100-400/4.5-5.6L and 24-105/4L

For zoom and focus creep I use Micropore surgical tape to lock the focus and zoom... Fcusing with AF lenses on Canon DSLR bodies using APT's FWHM based AF is a dream... :)

Couple of example shots here...

http://stargazerslou...se/#entry851545

Peter...

I think Lee, that it would be really useful to say what sort of things you are aiming for? Do you want widefield stuff or to be able to capture stuff a little larger in the frame?

The suggestion of a 50/1.8 is good for widefield and the 200/2.8 is a real astro classic for getting in closer. I have used my 300/4 and that proved good and I was really pleased with the field of view. I would stick with prime lens's as they are known for being sharper as a rule and also I am a sucker for a Canon lens.

Following are some examples of what you can do at 50mm. It is a lot of sky that is covered!

Cygnus region slightly cropped.

Orion - Barnard's loop. Can't remember if this is cropped or not.

The 50mm f/1.8 is ok in the middle wide open, but the corners degrade badly. Stopped down to f/2.8 or so helps a lot.

Only other lens I used much is the 135L but that's a bit over budget...

Fantastic pictures GlassWalker .... I've just got myself a 50mm prime Olympus Zuiko f/1.8 lens off ebay, and an OM-EOS adapter ring... so looking forward to some clear skies to try them out.

Well, even with an unmodified DSLR that would only take a bit longer, if the tracking is up for it. I know I have a lot of improvement I can still do on that... forgot to say both the images earlier are with H-alpha filter.

Archived