NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skyliner 250px focuser problems.

Hello guys. I recently bought a Skyliner 250px from First Light; i had a Evostar 120 before, and the difference is magnificent. However i have a rather concerning problem with my focuser.

The 250px came with two bog standard cheapy eyepieces; the 25mm and the super 10mm ( i also have a 2x barlow that i bought myself, a Celestron x-cel. However when i try and use any of the eyepieces the image is blurred and out of focus wherever i wind it on the focuser particularly with the 25mm. I wind the focuser all the way out or all the way in trying to find the sweet spot but at no point does it focus correctly. The only way i can fix this is to undo the eyepiece pin, draw the eyepiece out until it is focused, and then tighten the pin again to hold it in place. It's as if the focuser cannot extend out enough or far enough in to focus the eyepiece; even with a barlow it struggles.

Has anyone had any sort of problem like this and is there any soloution to it?

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you, Cornelius, for your help. We more or less guessed at having to get a short extension tube for the focuser. Would you suggest any that may help with the 250px at all? Or are they all pretty general for brand?

Mike.

Just 1 question, the scope should come with a 1.25" ep holder and a 2"ep holder, is this correct? When using the 1.25" ep's, you haven't got the 2" holder in the scope as well as the 1.25" holder have you? Is a mistake I made when I first got my dob.

Hello Sunshine.

I place the 1.25"ep holder into the focuser, then the eyepiece - after that it just refuses to come out far enough to be able to focus especially with the 25mm. This is where i have to pull the eyepiece out slightly in order for it to focus. I even have to do this with the barlow. I agree with you that i shouldn't have to buy anything else with it this is what confuses me.

Maybe a bit extreme but what with all the quality control issues after the stock problems could the primary mirror be wound in too far up the OTA or the secondary out of position.

I had the opposite problem to you until I centred the spider and collimated mine.

Post a pic and good luck :D

---Co. founder of the Essex cloud dodgers social group (possibly? )---

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?/topic/152380-Can-We-Have-An-Essex-Group-In-The-Social-Group-Section-Please-?

Is this a dob? and was this new? unless something has changed on the SW focusers, it seems to have a standard 2"-1.25" adapter which does not normally come with the SW. in this case I'd suggest you try it with the 2" adapter in as well and this should then focus. the 2" adapter should be about 50mm long.

This is the second load out. I believe this is the 1.25" atop of 2". Does this look more like how it should be?

And, Knobby, I plan on putting the OTA on an eq6 mount in a few weeks time. =)

post-8388-0-88639600-1339364085_thumb.jp

Might be too far out now...

Is the focuser tune black? And are the screws holding it to the ota flat blade or Allen key type grub screws?

That looks like a different focuser to mine!

Maybe Skywatcher have changed them

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?/topic/152380-Can-We-Have-An-Essex-Group-In-The-Social-Group-Section-Please-?

Wind it out a bit and take a pic. It just looks different to mine!

I'd take a picture of it in better light tomorrow ( your pic is noisy and not too clear ) and email it to whoever you bought it from, see what they have to say.

Your 2" adapter is not the standard Skywatcher one - this is probably the cause of your problems. The Skywatcher one holds the 1.25" eyepiece a little further out that yours does - it uses what I call a "hi-hat" design wheras yours has a flat top.

I think you need to get hold of the proper adapter - an extension tube is likely to move the eyepiece too far out so you could have the opposite problem !

Hi John, I do have the 1.25 adaptor, it's a thinner tube than the 2" but the problem is none of the holes fit it. The holes are ether too large or too small. if you look at knobbie's pic i have that smaller tube between the focuser and the eyepiece. I just have nowhere to put it.

Archived