Hi all,

My kit below:

SW mak 127

SW EQ5 Synscan GOTO mount

DSLR + t ring etc

Logitech pro 9000 webcam

Laptop

Power tank.

So im looking to either do guiding or webcam imaging with my setup (prob guiding as i have a dslr)

What im asking is:-

Guiding - What is needed extra ?

Webcam imaging - what do i need to do to do imaging ?

Cheers

Paul

as for the guiding ive no clue as im brand new to hobby

but with the webcam side of things im basicly using a £5 webcam modded to slot in the barlow

i use sharpcap to capture the image & registax to stack the image

this was taken with no tracking & after having my scope for a week with no knowledge of ap or telescopes

Capture 01_06_2012 23_21_32.bmp

sounds like you have better equipment & more knowledge than me so i think you should be ok with the webcam you have.

For the time,I would say save ya money up ,get to no your scope and it's quirks enjoy it it for now ,I could give you a list a mile long on new kit,but I would just keep ya cash in ya pocket for now

Pat

For planetary imaging using the webcam you don't need to guide. The mount should track sufficiently well for that.

In what context were you thinking that guiding would be required? Imaging using the DSLR alone and guiding using the scope? Or imaging using the DSLR on the scope? Something else?

James

For planetary imaging using the webcam you don't need to guide. The mount should track sufficiently well for that.

In what context were you thinking that guiding would be required? Imaging using the DSLR alone and guiding using the scope? Or imaging using the DSLR on the scope? Something else?

James

Also see you have a st80, any good for widefield ??

All of the Startravel scopes suffer with varying degrees of chromatic aberration so they're not great for DSLR imaging, though I imagine RGB might work if you refocused each time the filter changed. Mine is going to be relegated to use as a guidescope.

For visual use I think the ST80 is a bit compromised. The CA is quite noticeable on, say, the moon, but on DSOs I always found myself wishing for more aperture. I think the ST102 is much more satisfying in the latter respect.

James

An EQ5 mount is fine for webcam imaging, just chop up the camera, and the Mak127 is a very capable planetary imaging camera. However, the mount is not ideal for guided DSO imaging (not impossible, but the HEQ5 is often cited as minimum), and the Mak127 is not suitable at all, due to its slow speed (F/12 or so). With my C8, I stick to planetary imaging. I might take up DSO imaging with the 80mm F/6, but only after upgrading my mount.

actually ill stick too my dslr thinking about it, much better quality and size of images, printed a moon image on A3 recently and i dont think a webcan could produce images that size and quality.

The Mak maybe sold off for a SW 150 in the future though.

The DSLR could be fitted to the back of the Mak for lunar and solar imaging certainly, and you'd not need guiding for that either. Webcam is still the best bet for planetary imaging, but the DSLR may well fit the entire image on the sensor for the moon or sun whereas the webcam sensor will be too small for that.

James

I've never owned a Mak but I have seen exceptional images posted on here (SGL) , taken using the 127 mak + webcam.

I think the best way to start out is by doing exactly what you are. Maybe spend a bit more than a fiver on the webcam though

So to answer your questions:-

Guiding - What is needed extra ? - Deep pockets and patience

Webcam imaging - what do i need to do to do imaging ? - Exactly what you have already

for webcam imaging you have the necessary equipment you will also need capture software eg sharpcam and registax to stack the images both are free. If you are interested in deep space photography I would suggest a copy of " making every photon count"by steve richards available from flo

Archived