Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wireless Control And Goto For Eq5 Mount

Broughton

Hi,

I have only been used to the good old manual operation and alignment of my telescope, but have decided I would like to go for some sort of GOTO (SynScan/SynTrek... the whole thing is confusing). I have a Sky-Watcher Explorer 200P on an EQ5 mount. What kit do I need to give this the full GOTO functionality? Also, do I need any additional kit to control this directly from Stellarium from a desktop? I've heard you connect the PC directly to the handset on the GOTO/SynScan/whatever?

Also, are there any ways of making this wireless? I've been looking at SkyFi, and a few other items and just wondering what others here are using. Perhaps someone else has a similar setup or able to offer a few pearls of wisdom? The wireless setup would be fantastic, but first job would be giving it the GOTO functionality.

Many thanks.

To make it full goto you can buy the eq5 goto upgrade for about 300.00. Then you can buy a USB2EQ5 cable for 45 quid and connect directly to the mount - by passing the controller. or you can use the serial connector included in the kit and connect via the hand controller but if you don't have a serial port then you will need a serial to USB converter. You will need to install ascom and Eqmod

I also looked into wireless control. The idea of sitting in the warm house on a cold and clear winters night, controlling the telescope wirelessly and viewing images directly on a computer screen was very attractive. You didn't mention imaging in your post, but for remote control use of the telescope you also need focus control and therefore need a motorised focuser, as well as a an imager (camera). All of the scope control can certainly be done wirelessly. But not the imaging - you need much higher transfer speeds - the best wireless seems to be able to manage is about 60 MB/s and for imaging you need closer to 400.

Have a look at this: http://www.astronomyforum.net/astro-imaging-forum/126669-far-my-best-remote-control-solution.html

Here is my solution.

I bought two basic blanking plates and cut out two holes in each, one for my focusser cable and one for my USB cable. Using two very short USB extension leads (500mm I think), I hot-glued a male to the back of one blanking plate and a female to the back of the other. This allows you to fix the boxes to each side of your external wall and connect the two leads together and hide the slack/join in the cavity. I did the same for the focusser using RJ22 sockets from Farnells.

I use a 10m USB Repeater Cable ouside connected to a powered hub, and a similar cable inside, connected to my laptop. I also found a suitable tupperware box that, with a little foam packing, fits snugly over the outside box to keep the rain out. It all seems to work perfectly.

I can now sit inside watching telly while monitoring my laptop taking photos.

Bill

post-12288-0-46045800-1339435476_thumb.j

post-12288-0-04190100-1339435487_thumb.j

post-12288-0-63062700-1339435499_thumb.j

Adam,

Yes, until very recently I was using the Philips SPC900 as a guide cam via a 9x50 finderscope. I have just bought a SW 80T and am now guiding with that, using the SPC900.

Bill

PS Thanks for reminding me to change my sig. ;)

As soon as I got the mount working from the laptop I went down the route of remote control from the house, it was okay with no problems, observatory being 50m from indoors laptop but there was no real excitement so very rare I use it now. I have loads of radio control kit and have thought of dabbling with that on the mount but yet to see, is probably feasible. Just an afterthough, if I were to do any wireless control it would be by wireless gamepad, everything is there and now need for any mods :)

Jim

Archived