Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece Advice For Explorer 200P

I've just recently aquired an explorer 200p, so I've only got the two standard 10mm and 25mm that comes with the scope. I understand these are quite rubbish compared to what's out there and that eyepieces are an important part of the complete chain, correct?

In any case, as I've just started getting into imagery (will take my first photos tonight) and will most likely be getting an autoguiding package quite soon, so my funds are a bit limited at the moment for eyepieces. Therefor I'm wondering what I should be getting. I've looked into the eyepieces that have been recommended and think that my budget should be able to stretch enough for a Baader Hyperion Zoom mkIII and a PanaView 32mm. Now, is there any better combination of eyepieces that would fit me more? I'm mainly interested in DSO.

If the Zoom is a good candidate, should I be getting the special 2.25x barlow deal? I understand this might have better optics than the standard Deluxe-version that comes with the 200p and while also having a T-adapter, this might be an upgrade for my imaging and visual?

Appreciate any advice.

Hi, have a look at this thread as it is also about eyepieces for the 200P:

There is some good advice in there, including someone who points out that the eyepieces that come with these scopes are not that bad to start off with, espescially the 25mm.

I used to own a Panaview 32mm and it was wonderful in my 200P, it only got sold becouse I was seduced by the upgrade path!! I would recommend one, if you can get hold of one - they seem in short supply at the moment! An alternative, maybe even slightly better, would be a SkyWatcher Aero 30mm. The Baader zoom you mention gets rave reviews on here, i've not used one, but I guess it would be good to use in the 200P. It's always a good idea to try and find a local astro club and try out some eyepieces in your scope before buying, as we are all slightly different in what we prefer in eyepieces! I've not met anyone as yet who seems completely happy with thier eyepiece collection and there are loads to choose from, but it's all part of the fun!!

Doc

I think I'm going to try to hold of on purchasing any eyepieces until I've had a chance to try some of them out. There's a local astronomy club that meet during the season that I'm planning on joining when they start meeting mid-August. There's no hurry at the moment though, last night the camera was on the telescope the whole session, as I was trying to do my first imaging :D

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really know. After taking a series of short exposures on some targets I decided to take 20 15 second exposures of M3 (would have gone longer but my polar alignment was off). It really isn't dark at all near Stockholm at this time of the year and even though the location at which I observe is quite free from light polution (best location within 30 or so minutes from home, at only 10 minutes away), my exposures looked like this:

fcpq2a.jpg

As you can see, the background is really blue. Is it something that's normal for this time of the year and thus is easy to change through processing? I've got 20 lights and 20 darks, but I haven't managed to process them yet and I'm not sure if it's worth it. Is it possible to get a "decent" image out of it (considering it's my first attempt, I'd be happy if it was possible to make the background black and the cluster of stars white). It's hard to see what kind of raw images people get from this time of the year at not so dark places, so I don't have anything to compare it with.

In any case, it looks like it's going to be a cloudless night so I'm going to have my third go at it from my garden and see if I can get my guiding to work so that I'll be able to take way longer exposures.

Thanks for showing interest by the way, really made me smile :smiley:

Well, I couldn't resist waiting until late August to purchase some EPs so I decided to get the PanaView 32mm and will be purchasing three BST Explorers as soon as Skys the limit opens up again. I'll be getting the 8mm, 18mm and 25mm and I think this will keep me happy until I can afford a complete revamp of my entire kit.

Well, I think you've made some sound decisions there and very much doubt if you'll be dissapionted with them!! I still wish i'd kept my Panaview 32mm even now i've got the Aero - I think it was the 'big wide' lens to look through that gave it something special!!

Just need a break in the weather now eh!!

Doc

Well, I think you've made some sound decisions there and very much doubt if you'll be dissapionted with them!! I still wish i'd kept my Panaview 32mm even now i've got the Aero - I think it was the 'big wide' lens to look through that gave it something special!!

Just need a break in the weather now eh!!

Doc

The weather's been pretty much spot on here for a long time, it's the darkness that's horrible :tongue:

Well, I couldn't resist waiting until late August to purchase some EPs so I decided to get the PanaView 32mm and will be purchasing three BST Explorers as soon as Skys the limit opens up again. I'll be getting the 8mm, 18mm and 25mm and I think this will keep me happy until I can afford a complete revamp of my entire kit.

Get the 18mm and see how you feel before buying the 25mm. I bought the 25mm because I thought I needed to fill the gap between my BST 18mm and my Panaview 32mm, but found it surplus to requirements. That and the fact that I found that it's probably one of the weaker BSTs in a 200p - way too fuzzy in the outer 25-30% of the FOV.

The 32mm Panaview, 18, 12 & 8mm BSTs are a nice selection to have and cover a more useful range.

Russell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for the advice, but I've chosen to go with the Explore Scientific 100 degree EPs instead. If I wouldn't have made that decision, I would've done as you said since I've read about the 25mm BST Explorer being the weakest of the lineup.

I only have 4 EP's. I have the stock 10mm and 25mm that came with the scope and then purchased a 6mm and 32mm just so I have a range to play with. I agree the stock lenses are not the finest optical devices in the world but they do work And the standard stock 2X Barlow could be better so I will in time get the TAL barlow that comes so highly recommended and probably change the 10mm and 25mm lenses when the time comes, but at the moment I'm quite happy with my set up. :grin:

I can thoroughly recommend the 32mm SW PanaView for the 200P, a great ep and my most used, incredibly sharp out to 85% (well, that's an f/5 scope for you!). It was also my first ever ep purchase.

Archived