Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Im a newbie wise ones please help

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi There a few months ago i really wanted a telescope like you, and I was tempted to get a cheap one from the first website you were on.

I am really glad that I did not, and have now saved up the money to be able to afford a really high quailty scope that is WAAAAY better than any of the scopes you have mentioned.

I have been using binoculars and the naked eye for the past year or so, and have seen many awesome things, so i would really recommend some of these.

If you REALLY MUST buy a telescope, i think you would want to spend about double your budget, but there are a few for about £100

here are a few that i would recommend:

http://www.celestron.uk.com/catalogues/browse_categories.asp?CatalogueID=272&CategoryID=3762

Any on the above page

Some people will probably disagree with my choices for you, but you will not get much better for such a small budget...

If you can afford it, I think that this telescope will be the best possible scope for the money:

http://www.telescopeplanet.co.uk/ViewProdDetails.asp?prod_code=PON07B000186

This probably won't help much but here goes, If you know anyone with a COSTCO account there's a Meade 90mm +goto mount for 99.00 plus VAT on top so 117.50.

I have to agree with the suggestion of bins,mount and book though.My first scope was a Celestron 80mm but the mount is just wobbly and spoils your fun.

Karlo

I admire your enthusiasm but my advice is to listen to the guys recommending binoculars as the first step. They are easy to use and you can pick them up fairly cheap.

If you rush out to buy a scope of possible questionable quality I fear you may get put off astronomy altogether. I got into astronomy when I was about 10ish and used my Dads binoculars for 31 years before I bought a scope. Loved every minute of it.

In summary - buy (or better still borrow) some binos, get a good introductory book and a star map to familiarise yourself with the basics and enjoy the view.

Good Luck

Bill£ :D

Ok let me do this another way so i can stop bugging you poor people

say i have £100 and no more to buy a teelscope could you point me in the right direction of the best one for that price

thanks guys sorry im a pain :D

Correct me if I'm wrong but is your 'plan' for the use of a scope along the lines of popping outside on a warm night and sweeping along the Milky Way and maybe a look at the craters of the Moon, if it's out? I'm not being disparaging when I say this and indeed I find time spent in this way very enjoyable. If this is 'the plan' then I agree with some of the guys in recommending the Skywatcher Mercury 705. On the mount supplied you will be able to sweep around with ease and fine tune the field of view with the 'danglie down bits' to centre the object. You will have a reasonably wide field of view and magnification with the eye pieces supplied and the image will be the right way up although a mirror view. A reflector type scope on the other hand will give an upside down view which you may find a bit testing.

A word of warning however. If you are expecting to see colourful scenes such as those in published pictures of deep space objects you will be disappointed. There are grand sights to see nontheless even in a small scope and if your intrest grows then so can the size of your scope.

CW

Hi Leanne, another women here! (there are very few of us about :D)

I'm with you on the idea of getting something simple and easy to use, to just scan and see with... and can see why a telescope appeals. You said in your original post that your hands are too shakey with binoculars, I can understand that. A small, cheap telescope on a small mount (tripod) will be much worse on the shakes side than a pair of binoculars though, and it'll really iritate you and make you not want to bother. So unless you up your budget a lttle to get something like the Mercury that Gaz recommended I too would recommend binoculars - but with a support. Just think of it as two small telescopes for the price of one :) I suggest you get video support like this (cost about £10)

http://www.iseestars.net/?pgid=user-image-view&imageid=9371&input=127

which will steady your hands. I have a (female) friend who is new to astronomy and now wouldn't part with hers for any price!

Oh, and this doesn't take up much room and is always ready to go...and you'll see more sky with binoculars.

Happy hunting!

Helen

PS the dangly down bits are really useful for controlling a scope and REALLY easy to use! :(

am i right when i say thins the reflector telescopes show things upside down but the refractor ones dont

is that right??

Yep. See my last post.

You can buy erecting adaptors that fit between the scope and the eyepiece to correct the view but they do reduce the light and most people don't bother.

CW

Hi Leanne, welcome to the forum :D.

If you really, really don't want to use a set of binoculars (most stargazers have at least one pair, honest!), you'd get a bit more for your money if look second hand. Stay away from Ebay as there's plenty of sharks there, have a look on the items for sale on this fine forum or here: http://astrobuysell.com/uk/ . Stuff sold by stargazers would be better looked after and therefore less chance of you buying a lemon.

In the meantime, do some reading and get as much info as you can on stargazing. I'd recommend this as a good starting point: http://tinyurl.com/ywbzxo . Six quid well spent. And of course, this place is a veritable goldmine of info.

Tony..

this one seems to have grabbed my attention

what do u think

http://www.celestron.uk.com/catalogues/view_item.asp?ItemID=30586&CatalogueID=272&CategoryID=3762

credit card may have to make an apperance lol :D

It is still a 70mm scope, but it has the advantage of being nearly f/13, which means you will have fewer issues with false colour, and a slightly easier time focusing. You will eventually need to get at least one other eyepiece, and a Barlow. Being a Celelstron, it is reliable in construction and quality. Get the Barlow first, and then an eyepiece of about 28 to 32mm. That will give you a nice range of magnification.

I've just found this thread which seems to have grown very quickly :D

I can only add to the recomendations of those who have posted already. The budget is low enough to include the finisher 'scopes which are advertised as starter 'scopes, but does cover useful binoculars.

My advice would be to hang out here until you're more comfortable, then find out if there is a local society or tame SGL member who lives local to you and take it from there. Rog. (Celescope) recently did a hands on tutorial which I thought was inspired, you will probably find that you aren't a long way from somebody who can show you stuff and demonstrate what it can or can't do before you spend your money. Being from Yorkshire I don't spend money lightly so take on board these guys opinions and try to get a free go somewhere to see what you might get inside your budget. It would be a shame if you are new to this hobby to spend on stuff that you find useless as soon as you buy it.

Best of luck, and welcome to SGL.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Archived