Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Im a newbie wise ones please help

hi there

i have about £50-£60 to spend and after reading posts i know thats not alot of money but want to get something any ideas what etelscope i can get to look at stars and moon and maybe planets too,just intrested in learnig a little more not really to learn in any great depth but just to be bale to see more than with the unaided eye and be able to go WOW!!! (yep typical woman

would any of these be any good at all and if so which would be the best

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/bresser/venus-700/76mm/starter-scope.html

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/Bresser/telescope-for-astronomy/sirius70.html

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/Bresser/telescope-for-astronomy/RB60.html

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/Bresser/telescope-for-astronomy/RB60nc.html

are any of these any good at all??? or which one is the best and will i be able to see ANYTHIng??? from these

thanks

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was just about to suggest bins Akrya :D - especially if anyone's got a pair of those Bresser 10x50's Lidl have on occaison. Pair of binoculars, and a couple of good books (maybe Turn Left at Orion) would stand you in a lot better stead I think Leanne.

You might want to have a look at the First Light Optics site too (banner at the top of the page) - Steve has a good range of binoculars, will give you some great advice, and you now qualify for a 10% discount just by having signed up here!

Welcome on board!

Chris

would really prefer telescope as i dont have steady hands,which one out of these is best

Pick yourself up / DIY build yourself a cheap AltAzi tripod, camera ones are ideal! Also those little 3 legged things that you screw into the bottom of cameras would hold it steady for you too.

EDIT: Nevermind!

really dont want binoculars guys

Perhaps saving up a little more budget might be better, learn the skies first and get yourself something you will be happy with and want to keep hold of for years to come.

ok so none of the ones in the links are any good at all i take it???

im not really up for learing about the skys as a hobby or anything just want to have a look around now and again if you know what i mean lol

im not making much sense at all am i,just wanted something cheap i can set up in my room and have the occasional glance down and see what i can find

would this be a good one more than i want to pay but

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=mercury705&cat=23

I understand where she's coming from actually.

Unfortunately binos ARE the solution. Tripod mounted for steady hands. Easy to master, no accessories needed, 100% grab and go, show a lot, not subject to a huge amount of aperture fever!

But since she states certainly that she doesn't want them, my suggestion would be a 6" dobsonian, or maybe 4 1/2" newtonian or small refractor on an EQ1 mount.

Andrew

The first one has the most aperture and therefore would show you more. The problem with ALL of these scopes is the supplied mount. None of them are any good at all and would lead to frustration and cause you to give up on the hobby. I've seen it a thousand times, literally. The guys are trying to help when they suggest binoculars because that's the best investment for the money you wish to spend. (I'd add a chaise lounge too, so you can keep a steadier hand, though.) :D

My advice would be to seek out a local astronomy club/society and check out a scope through them. Then, save up some more and invest in a quality instrument. You'l really save yourself some pain.

I used to steady my binoculars on the end of a broom handle braced against some suitably rigid object.

I agree with Akyra about saving up a little more, rather than fall into the trap of buying a cheap and unsatisfactory instrument just because you want something to look at the stars with. One of the instruments I have is a 65mm spotting scope, and a cheaper Soligor photo tripod. This is within your budget, but turns out to be unsatisfactory for astro work, a lthough it's not bad for bird spotting.

You might want to look at used equipment, as it is usually pretty good (both my scopes and a lot of my eps were bought used.) I wouldn't suggest a refractor of less than 3" (76mm) or a reflector or catadioptric of less than 5" (127mm) for decent viewing of celestial objects, with a mount that doesn't shake for half a minute when you touch it.

In the meantime, get out and look at the sky and learn the constellations and the planets, which will help you when you get your scope going. It's great fun to do this, and it really impresses people when you can point to their zodiacal constellation.

My advice would be to seek out a local astronomy club/society and check out a scope through them. Then, save up some more and invest in a quality instrument. You'l really save yourself some pain.

I did this and got too look through 2 scopes and a 8" dobsonian long before I even bought mine!

Hello and welcome to the forum. Hope you haven't been put off by the sound advise offered so far, it's given with your best interests in mind even though it's not what you want to hear.

Have you tried the secondhand market in scopes? Some good bargains can be found among the rubbish which may fit your needs,which I think would be a small aperture 'Grab n Go' set up for occasional use.

(Binos would still be a better choice. :D)

Happy hunting

CW

when u say mount do you mean the tripod thing then,why would this cause problems surely its the teelscope being rubbish would be worse than the stand

now maybe im talking runbbish

A bad mount can make even a good scope a trial to use, and a good mount can improve a lower quality scope just by holding it steadier. I know because I replaced my shaky aluminum mount with the wooden one I use now, and it very much improved the 4.5" scope I was using before I got my C6N.

hi yeah i had a look at the one,i could get the money for it but its all those things hanging off it that put me off a little i dont want anything complicated just something nice and simple,that doesnt involve me using alot of brain cells

They help you track stuff as it walks across the sky.

you're going to have to be open to a bit of learning with any telescope you buy.

Binoculars are useable for anyone and aren't fiddly.

Telescopes may take a bit of getting used to but are more rewarding for most.

Andrew

Archived