Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Asdacam mod MkII

nytecam

For my first mod I used superglue to attach a chrome 1-1/4" [32mm] EP adapter with two problems..

a] the superglue fumes coated the sensor which needed careful cleaning and..

b] the superglue joint failed after about a fortnight's use leaving a white chalky deposit.

Below is my new mkII mod using a cut-down 32mm plastic film canister as EP adapter. The lens and top of the upper cam cover [boxed in green] are discarded. I've used the black lens cone inverted as a compression joint to a hole cut in the base of the canister. Double-sided tape provides a secure connection to the camera body rather than superglue.

Prior to this the top camera lid is peeled off and discarded to expose a flat base for the film canister. The remaining adhesive is scraped off and the surface sanded clean of all old adhesive. Carefully clean all camera parts before reassembling the camera halves with the two small screws.

post-33671-133877783406_thumb.jpg

post-33671-133877783408_thumb.jpg

post-33671-133877783411_thumb.jpg

post-33671-133877783413_thumb.jpg

The finished webcam mod complete with film canister cap to keep sensor dustfree in storage :hello2:

The lens cone enlarged with a file [prior to completion!] to ensure no vignetting of the sensor by a fast lens system.

post-33671-133877783415_thumb.jpg

post-33671-133877783418_thumb.jpg

post-33671-13387778342_thumb.jpg

Very nice :). Does camera film still come in these excellent little canisters? I've no idea, I haven't bought film for years :p
Me neither - used last one with old film in the 'frig:D Here a test pic via new Asdacam mod on a very dull afternoon @ 40ft from indoors in lounge through 4 sheets of glass [2xdouble glazed doors!] via ETX-70 + Asdacam + IR block filter and run through Registax - amazing for a skip rescued scope with simple 2-element achromat :hello2:

post-33671-133877783448_thumb.jpg

Very nice :hello2:. Does camera film still come in these excellent little canisters? I've no idea, I haven't bought film for years :)

If you ask your local Boots workers nicely, they should give you them for free.

I asked my dad to buy a film reel when he was out shopping, took it to the till, told them why it was being bought, the staff member at the till told him to wait a short while, and brought 7 empty cannisters.

Apparently they only send them for recycling when film has been processed anyway, so were more then happy to hand them over.

If you ask your local Boots workers nicely, they should give you them for free.

I asked my dad to buy a film reel when he was out shopping, took it to the till, told them why it was being bought, the staff member at the till told him to wait a short while, and brought 7 empty cannisters.

Apparently they only send them for recycling when film has been processed anyway, so were more then happy to hand them over.

Really? I shall have to pay Boots a visit, see if I can pick up a few! :hello2:

The finished webcam mod complete with film canister cap to keep sensor dustfree in storage :hello2:

The lens cone enlarged with a file [prior to completion!] to ensure no vignetting of the sensor by a fast lens system.

Many thanks for the mod pics - very helpful. I hope to get mine up & running soon............

Cheers,

Peter

A very interesting and well documented project! I have only just started out in amateur astronomy although I have done a lot of observations for position and azimuth prior to GPS. However I must have picked up this post after Asda had sold out but have managed to find some on Ebay at just over £3.00 and also managed to get some 35mm film canisters too. Just waiting now for them to arrive to have ago at this project .

Thanks for the info and the pictures, they are very good and usefull.

Before reading, i was feeling quite aprehensive about trying ap or moding a webcam, now i think i'll give it a stab, and at £3, it doesn't matter if it all goes belly up!

Thanks again.

D.C

Archived